Rigify to Unity Optimization problems

Hello every one.

This is my first Post (EVER), so feel free to redirect me to the right forum if need be.

The purpose of this Thread is to find out the best way to either solve or bypass problems, that might accrue during the exporting processes of animated humanoid characters from Blender in to game engines using Rigify Pitchipoy. I would appreciate any idea or experience you have, that might help solve these issues.

I am currently working on the creation of a pipeline, that will allow me to export an animated humanoid Characters from Blender to Unity3D, and at the moment, I am Stuck on the Exporting processes, which is proving to be riddled with unwanted complications and other issues.

The list of problems, and issues I faced is long, so ill compress them to a digestible size.

saving the *.blend file in the Unity3D v.5 works, but it isn’t compatible with Mecanim, and unity has problems digesting all of the bones. I know there is a work around, but even after that, the file is not optimized for games.

By transferring the animation from the generated Rig to the original Metarig, (Copy Transforms) allows the transfer of the animation without loss in quality, and due to the Metarig, it is now compatible with Mecanim.
But the file is even larger now.

If we try to export the Metarig as an FBX, we lose our Actions, and we get unwanted scaling animation.

So what to do?
Thanks in advance
ItamarB.

I followed your instructions and found out that you probably are talking about the standard Rigify.
I was referring to the Pitchipoy version of Rigify.

I followed the Instructions you gave, and unfortunately, with the Pitchipoy version the complex option isn’t available. Setting it to the “Rigify Type: biped.leg” and genrating the rig, wil result in an error messeg:

“RIGIFY ERROR: Bone ‘thigh.L’: incorrect bone configuration for rig type – leg bones != 2Incorrect armature for type ‘deform’”

Never the less. Your replay feather my insight in to Blender, and now I have more options to fiddle with
:smiley:

After trying (again) to export the FBX file, I hit a dead end.

I was trying to bake all actions from the generated Rig to a modified Metarig. Unfortunately I couldn’t get it to work.

I believe that blender can not find the corresponding elements to which it can bake the animation. Trying to Export the Actions via FBX, results in only the default animation being exported, and unwanted scaling animations.

Is there a proper way, to bake animation from the Rig to the Metarig?
If not, what is the correct way, to export the animations with the FBX file?

p.s.
i have added the file with the Armatures ad an attachment. it would be grate if you could download it, and inform me if you get any ideas
RigfyPitch_Test_01.blend (5.12 MB)

I’m not very familiar with the workflow and workarounds involved with baking animations and importing Blender autorigs into game engines. As much as I’d like to I can’t make the time to dig into it now. A thread bump is all I can do for you at this time. Hopefully someone else will jump in and help you out.

-LP