3Ds Max 2016 Demonstration uses BigBuckBunny

hey guys,
I was just watching the demonstration of the new features of 3ds Max 2016 and saw that they are using images from Big Buck Bunny.

Also they seem to try to go the Blender route and put everything in one package. And one more thing that confused me is that i really dont know to whom this guy is trying to sell 3ds Max. He keeps calling terms like Ambient Occlusion “Big Buzzwords” or something.

What do you guys think?

I cant really answer your questions, it is actually weird they put a big buck bunny image there, but all of these just makes me wish I wouldnt dislike 3Ds max. All these features look really good, but then again, I really dont like 3dsmax and how you have to work most of things on it. (And I learnt 3D with that software, lol)

Anyway, they are making a good use of their community, if they are actually listening to them.

I don’t know if Blender devs would be outraged or pleased about this. It’s either:

“OMG They’re promoting themselves with work done with our software!”

or

“Thanks for acknowledging that the work done with our software is feature worthy to show off yours.”

Technically, Autodesk has the right to use Blender Open Movie content to promote their applications because of the open license they use (Creative Commons), meaning anyone can use them for almost any purpose.

As long as they credit the Blender Institute as the creator, there’s nothing illegal being done.

The image comes from the Shotgun website promoting their software. The main reason Shotgun marketing tream used BBB is that it is royalty free and illustrates a 3D movie, so in this case promoting production tracking software for VFX. As Shotgun is software agnostic as far as 3D apps goes, it makes sense.

It has nothing to do with Autodesk other than the fact that they are promoting support for Shotgun. They simply grabbed this promo image and added it to the presentation. If AD was going to promote a feature they would not have used BBB they have plenty of their own content to promote AD products. This is entirely the work of Shotgun software team.

https://www.shotgunsoftware.com/

I was not trrying to start a witch hunt here, i was just confused.
Thanks for clearing things up for me.

lol, now they have added the outline for selected object.

Everytime I see that the big Autodesk put something really close to Blender and tehy selling it as the “new” stuff I feel like I did the right choice to move on Blender.

and also everytime I watch a video like this one or a banner on some website, or a super huge stand at some convetion, I believe that the clearly spend almost half of the money they make in commercials and events just to convince people that AD is the best solution for them.

Really, those little things are convincing you of Blender being the right choice? Maybe they managed to implement outlines that aren’t easily halving your framerate, like those in Blender. What about them also having already implemented OpenSubdiv? What about the node-based scene editing tools that are available right now, while “our” developers are held up debugging the dependency graph?

It’s a bit embarrassing that some Blender users can’t admit to when Autodesk does anything well, for once.

@ BeerBaron,

Obviously Autodesk and 3DMax is at a different level. If 3DMax would be cheap I would switch to it because of the modeling tools it has or Maya. I like the ability to have good NURBS and poly tools.

However what MmAaXx states is I think that for 0$ you get a very usable work solution with Blender. Will one ever use everything in Max as well?

From what I gather, he’s a Max user rationalizing his “move” to Blender. I guess everyone can read into it what they want.

As a community with a reputation of having a cult-like mentality, maybe we should grow up and learn to leave Autodesk their success. It’s not all monopoly and marketing, there’s real engineers working there on a real product that real users want to use.

well it´s not true that they just added outlines to selected objects. They added outlines to objects you are about to select. That´s something different and actually really useful.
A lot of other features look really good as well.

I have a student version of 3Ds Max but mainly use blender, because it is faster. Most of the time you will need at least one click less to do a task.

Funny. I animated that shot. Now they wrote ‘FIX’ on it :slight_smile:

See how much open sharing & creativeness influence the ‘royalties’ world. Bravo.

@cekuhnen you got the point.

@BeerBaron just to know, where do you work? do you use Blender everyday?

I have used Blender since 2.49 for work, paid work. And I have used later 2.5x versions up to current for full time work every day 8 hours a day for months on end. And I have trained other artists in Blender to use for work in my studio. (7 years with Blender now) And many more years before that with other software namely LightWave.

However over the last 4 years I have also used Autodesk products. Evaluating the differences in the tools between the two, sure there are things that cross over. Even things that I still prefer to do in Blender. But by and large there is no hype in any of the promotion for Maya, Max or any of the rest of it. These tools far out-rank Blender in pretty much every category. Robust and fully developed tools as opposed to tools that have only been developed up to a point in Blender.

There is a reason that many professionals choose these tools. And it has nothing to do with marketing. And the fact that AD products are in schools is a result of them having the best tools in the industry and schools have it in their best interest to teach the tools that will get their students work in an industry that evaluates the usefulness of tools not by hype, but by what they can actually do. This last point and this last point alone is the only factor that drives what software is used in a razor-sharp competitive world.

By contrast, there is a lot of what you can consider “hype” from the Blender community. Just in the sense that people get exited and say things like " as good or better than…" without really the years of experience or practical point by point knowledge to back it up.

It is great that people get exited though. It is good to see enthusiasm. Blender is an amazing tool, even at a price. At free, slam dunk it is the best bargain in the software industry.

Cannot agree more. I use blender is my day by day job, it help me pay bills and live. Also, must admit, I lost some great features and rock solid data flux (strong vieewport) from XSI. Anyway, even if they are great tools, I don’t wont anymore learn and buy an ADSK tool, too expensive (with a license model not exactly friendly) for what I do and not faith at all in the company.

Yep, that is the beauty of using Blender. It frees you up from all of that. XSI is a great app with lots of wonderful features. Me, I still have it installed and plan to continue to learn and use it. I have the last version, 2015.

Autodesk has some stiff licensing alright. No doubt. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. So if you can get by with Blender that is very cool. At least financially stress free. My stress comes from trying to force a tool to do what it is not designed well enough to do. I have had way too many years of that. Way too much time energy and frustration lost trying to force the issue. By contrast, working with a tool that is well designed, saves time. And time is money as they say.