Blender 2.74 crashing when I add reference image

I added reference images to my project a few weeks ago without a problem Today I was reorganizing my blender images and .blend files. I moved them to a different folder. So when I started up Blender I couldn’t see the reference images. So I removed them from my project and reinserted them with the new, correct file path. But whenever I click open image, Blender crashes. When I add those same images to a new project, it works fine.

I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 - 2600s CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz, RAM 8GB, 64 bit OS, AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.

Attachments

CartoonHeadMouth.blend (762 KB)

Hi, Blender should not crash at all, I would post a bug report, altough it is hard to reproduce it on a different system.
You can try to use Find missing files in File > External Data menu.
I don´t understand what you mean with Reference images?

Cheers, mib

I take it you mean adding a background image by clicking here?

Your scene file crashes Blender on my machine, too, as soon as I have picked an image file in the file browser and hit “Open Image” - but only if I use your screen layout by opening the file with “Load UI” checked. If I open your file into my own screen layout (“Load UI” unchecked) the background image opens fine…

Messed up settings that have been saved into the file?

That worked, thanks. No more crashes. I opened it with Load UI unchecked and then saved it.

But I immediately had a new problem, heh. Loading my front view image worked fine, but when I load my side view image I see nothing. From the front I see the front image, but from the side I see no background image. The settings on both background images are the same, except that the side view image has ‘right’ rather than ‘front’ selected in the menu. Both are .png files located in the same folder on my pc and both worked fine until I started having the crash problem.

I uploaded the new, saved .blend file as well as the two images. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

CartoonMan.blend (584 KB)

“I don´t understand what you mean with Reference images?”

I just meant a background image that I use as a reference for modeling. Sorry I was unclear.

That issue is resolved, but I have a new one. I explained it on a different reply on this thread, if you think you might be able to help. Thanks very much for your time.

From my understanding the background image settings are “per viewport”…
So, right now you have the left viewport set up to use background images for the front and right view, but the right viewport has no background images at all…

Wow, thanks, that was the problem. I’d swear I tried that, but I may have tried it when I was having the crash issue. Thanks again!