I'm having a strange problem with Ubuntu Studio

When I was watching YouTube videos, my monitor failed along with my mouse and keyboard. Then the sound failed. Then there was no disk activity. Nothing happening but running fans.

It did this twice while watching YouTube vids.

There was no kernel panic, just the ubiquitous hardware failure.

I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio 14.04 LTS, both 64 bit.

Specs Gigabite AM3+ board
FX 4200 quad core (unlocked)
8 gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1333 OEM RAM (unganged)
7770 ghz Edition

This only happens in Ubuntu Studio and I can’t get into the terminal to see what is going on. Any ideas about what it is or how I can find out?

Hello.
Do you have installed the proprietary drivers “fglrx” for your ATI card? it can be installed from additional drivers.
What browser are you using? Do you have installed flash-player? it’s better to have it uninstalled.
Have you tried “chromium-browser”?

See if you find any error or warning in the last lines of what you get with “dmesg” from the terminal, after the problem occurs.

I’m not using non-free drivers. I’m using chromium. It happened after the kernel update.

I could use dmesg but it would have to be after a forced reset because –> all of my IO devices stop working <–. :frowning:

Are you sure of that? So if you enter to the previous version of the Kernel from the Grub menu, the problem does not occur?

You can clear the dmesg output as explained in the link I gave you before, then you make the problem occurs. When you restart (or force restart), analyze dmesg messages looking for errors or warnings.

It happened in .33 and happened again after an update to .34. Today I’m using .31 and it’s ok so far.

I’ll do a search with dmesg and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile: