Cuda out of memory - 2.73/2.74, rendering to EXR?

Hello.

I’ve had a ridiculous problem for the past few days - Blender keeps telling me it’s out of memory. The reason I say it is ridiculous is because the scene is very simple - a little under 72k vertices. In February I was rendering A scene with more than half a million faces with few problems, but recently I’ve had the same problem - the rendering stops after the first progressive sample and the corners are missing. I tried lowering the tile size and splitting the scene into layers but it didn’t help.

I have just tried it again and it doesn’t seem to cause problems. However, I can’t be sure when it will start making problems for me again, so I need to know what could be causeing the problem. I thought it was because I started to render to EXR, but it doesn’t seem that way any more.

I am adding the blend file:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/35594

What graphics card do you have, your blend file is set to progressive refine, rendering that gives me 1.7 gig ish for the first render layer which works for me on a dedicated 980 with 4 gig but is slow, if I turn off progressive refine and to 250 x 250 tiles it peaks at just 41 meg ish. so perhaps just do that? you have it on full global illumination as well which is lot of bounces, perhaps ramp that back a bit also.

(edit if you put it on full global because it was noisy, it could be because you are using an 8bit jpg as the environment lighting rather than a 32bit hdr so the jpg will most likely be blowing out but I can’t check as it was not packed, but I’d change that as well I think)

I have a Geforce GT 635 Mobile. I am not sure how much memory the card itself has though GPU-Z says 2GB, and I have 8GB of RAM in addition to that.

I see… good to know about the hdr, I was wondering if that had any efect. But no, I changed it to jpg because the hdr was 300MB and it took ages to save every time. I tried to pack all the files into the blend - any idea why it wouldn’t pack the environment map? It didn’t even show in the render I did, but the emission was still affecting the scene; could the problems be connected?

Also, I always set it to full global as I think it gives me the most realistic results… so I try to keep that as high as possible.

Thanks for the insight.

Hi, if Cycles run out of the 2 GB it does not render.
Full Global makes no sense at all,dunno why it is even there.
If you want render several crystal balls reflecting each other you need higher settings but Limited should be OK for all realistic render.
I have heard about packing is not working some time, it is may a Bug but I cant reproduce it so hard to fix.

Cheers, mib