Problem Rendering on my linux machine!

I have been having a problem with blender crashing on my linux computer. It doesn’t crash on a windows computer running the exact same hardware. Here’s the last bit of the log.

“Fra:6 Mem:1134.29M (0.00M, Peak 1582.29M) | Mem:1400.59M, Peak:1400.59M | Scene, RenderLayer | Updating Lights | Computing distribution
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::lock_error> >’
what(): boost: mutex unlock failed in pthread_mutex_unlock: Invalid argument
Aborted (core dumped)”

Why is this happening? Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks.

Do you have a .blend file for us?

I’d rather not hand out the blend file. Is it really necessary?

Did you install Blender from repository and which version?

I just installed the vanilla version of 2.74.

Great. One down.

Maybe next tell/confirm which distribution you’re using and version, which render engine, which render mode. If Cycles and gpu, are you using nouveau or proprietary nvidia drivers (and version), are you using open shading language with Cycles and whatever else you can think of could be relevant for someone who tries to help troubleshooting with their eyes closed.

Something might stand out from that information. If not, Blender developers might have a guess what that error could relate to. They lurk in IRC, #blendercoders on irc.freenode.net

Okay, I’m using cycles, non-gpu, not using OSL.

Hi, we need really more information.
Distribution ?
Version?
Driver?
RAM?
CPU?
Are you using the zipped version? There is no installer for Linux.
Does it work with the default scene?
Are you trying the Blender version from you Distri?
Which boost version is installed?
Start Blender in a terminal with “./blender -d” to get more information.

CHeers, mib

It makes debugging easier, but I understand your point of view. I am running Blender 2.74 on Ubuntu, and I have yet to experience a linux-specific issue, which doesn’t mean it is necessarily problem-free…