Blender Cycles: Materials and Textures Cookbook - Third Edition - updated to 2.7

Hello everyone,

I didn’t post that much on this forum lately, but in this case is for a shameless self-promotion!
My cookbook “Blender Cycles: Materials and Textures cookbook”, edited from Packt Publishing, has been totally upgraded to the 2.7 series and is already out (at least since February):

I already had a few very nice reviews on the Amazon website and also here.

Hope you’ll find it interesting and thanks anyway!

Is there an upgrade option, or do you just have to buy the ebook again?

Sorry, ifcruickshank, but as far as I know Packt doesn’t have upgrade options. By the way, it’s quite a different and new book, with improved or new recipes and almost everything upgraded from Blender 2.6 to 2.7.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it didn’t sound like I was grumbling about it, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. :slight_smile:

Materials in Cycles is one thing I’m trying to work on, particularly procedurals, because I’m becoming a firm believer that a really good CG artists uses a mix of techniques, leaving people to wonder how they did it. I’ve seen some procedurals that were just about as good as some image based ones. I’m about halfway through chapter 3. So far, it’s been mainly stuff I knew, but liking the explanations. Will probably do a review on my site once I’ve had a chance to go through it all.

@ifcruickshank: no problems, btw here there are images of what you get with the cookbook.

I applied the recipes from the previous version of this book and i can tell it’s a complete guide to cycles materials. If you consider using Open shading language, this book is the previous step to fully understand the OSL in cycles.

Your shameless promotion worked. LOL

I started reading last night and so far I really like the thorough coverage of the subject matter.

I’ve been working to improve my materials for my current project and this is just what the Dr ordered.

byagcioglu and tomtuko, thanks! :slight_smile:
But, to set things straight, I must say that there is no mention about Open Shading Language in this cookbook (a too complex topic that deserves a book for itself); probably byagcioglu meant that the explanations and the recipes can be preparatory to OSL?

If i dive into open shading language “examples” before learning every aspect of cycles, i would fail. Examining your book is an essential step.Thanks again.

Many thanks to you. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to point out that at the cookbook Packt page, by scrolling down a bit and clicking on the “Free Sample” button, you have access to the first book chapter (Chapter 1, Overview of Materials in Cycles) for free.