Maya 2016 gets huge animation framerate boost + a profiler tool

source:

It looks pretty cool. The ability to evaluate the slowdown cause + use of the GPU sped up his scene from 4 frames per second to 40.

the source article has a list of other features and improvements.

Their new node editor is getting better and better too

It even has some features I wish blender’s had

That is impressive!

Slightly off topic: can we have blender process geometry on the GPU, does it do this already?

This is really cool.
Though the video looks like they tried to impress some kids how uber cool their new version is.

and also the node editor thing looked really really nice

wow!! that’s impressive.

real-time Barbie movies here we come:)

welp, if we get that same sort of thing via opencl, blender will be on par. I think autodesk is using proprietary nvidia technology to get it so fast. So no luck for ati users. I might be wrong of course.

Aren’t we already getting some graphics card speed up for the subdiv modifier via opensubdiv?

Cool, but Maya is still a buggy mess as far as I’m concerned >.> - Hopefully Blender will be able to optimize itself with Opensubdiv and those future viewport upgrades.

For subdivision surfaces, it will speed things up greatly, but the Blender implementation has been on hold until the release of the 3.0 version of OpenSubDiv (due to the presence of major functionality improvements).

Supposedly, it’s one of the targets for 2.75 last I looked.

Looks like Maya got a huge face lift. They pulled from quite a few popular applications as far as expectations go… More importantly, whats in this video might be the writing on the wall with what they intend to do with mudbox… meaning its nearing its EOL while they appear incorporate it bit by bit into Maya.

There is a thread to this effect on CGForums. People are not even bitching… quiet desperation is the general feeling.

B.t.w. I noticed that i never read somebody writing “3DCoat sucks”; whenever it is mentionned people talk well about it.

It looks like some on CGTalk have run into a few rude surprises when they started to give Maya 2016 a spin (despite the notable improvements elsewhere).

Looks like Autodesk is doing good on user needs for major features, but is still turning people off with some of the smaller changes they do (for example, some mourning the death of Maya’s famously high quality bevel tool results).