Wine glass with wine

This is a little project I’ve been mulling over today and looking for feedback on things to make it better (besides sampling… I’m running this only at 100 for now for testing, so the higher samples will come later). I’ve already gotten a few suggestions and would like to here more.

(Yes, I already know about the glass in the back left, and that has already been fixed.)

Here’s two other version, based off of one suggestion, that I’d like some opinions on which work better and further suggestions for improvement.

vs

When someone had suggested the sheet idea, she suggested the red one, which, before I added the bump/displacement on the sheet looked too much like wine on the table, so I tried it with blue. After adding the bump, I decided to try the red again, and it didn’t look so much like wine spilled on the table. I’m still deciding which I think, ultimately, looks better, so some feedback there as well as any other suggestions for improvement are welcome.

The wine glass itself is based on a “depression era glass” swirl pattern and came out looking remarkably like the reference I had. The wine bottle is from a previous project of mine that I thought would add a nice touch for additional scene details for this, though I did tweak some of the material settings for a better look.

Thanks for the feedback!

the wine bottle material looks a little off to me. the first ones look as if there’s a metallic component to the glass, and the last one looks off somehow too. maybe it’s just the low samples.
(edit) some caustics would be good…somewhere in the forum there is a link to a colored cycles glass material with passable caustics…can’t recall the name of the thread though.

I’ve been getting a lot of comments on the bottle in various places. I think the one thing a lot of people don’t realize is that red wines tend to have very dark bottles to protect the wine. Most are a dark green or almost black looking and are difficult to see through unless you’re looking very closely at them. I did use the glass shader here on both. I’m not sure what I could do to make it less metallic and more like a bottle. I’m wondering if it’s the reflections near the bottom, where there’s a little wine left in the bottom, that is lending to that appearance.

I’ll have to check out the caustics.

Still feel like something is missing… Maybe someone’s suggestion of a plate of cheese but what else?

I went back and checked reference, and I think the bottle is actually pretty spot on. Now I just need to add more details to make it look better, I think. Maybe more of a proper scene? Didn’t really mean for this to take on a life of it’s own… It was just a practice on doing the wine glass, but then I kept adding more, and keep liking where it was going but still feels it needs a little more. :smiley: