VXR7 Calebro - Concept Car WIP

I recently decided to begin work on a futuristic car concept, and have made some excellent progress in the past day or two. I would like to now post it here for some constructive criticism.

I will be posting more shots as I go, so advice on the various parts will be very welcome. I will try to contain a few things I’m not sure about in each post.

About:
This is my first ever car model, created as I go. I am designing the entire vehicle, thus the Concept title. I have taken a lot of inspiration from cars like the Aston Martin selection, and I have researched specifics like what the headlights should look like, however this is an original design I have made and there are no blueprints.

Specs:
Blender 2.72
Cycles Render Engine
NVIDIA GeForce 480 GPU
192k Vertices
365k Tris

To do:
Rear end
Interior
Suspension/Brakes
Rig?
Convertible roof?
Clean up topology

I am going to work on the back of the car today, so I will be posting some more renders of that later on. Maybe a wireframe render so you all can examine the topology as well.

I have made some progress on the back end. Need a license plate and a few other things, then it will be on to the interior!

Top View:

Rear View:

Some things I am worried about are the flow of the trunk, and where to put the blinkers. And yes, I noticed the windscreen has some issues. I think I know what is causing it as well, so hopefully by next entry it will be fixed.

My personal taste: I want my bumpers back. I do want my fender to be placed tightly around the wheel – without holes or gaps. Thicker doors? Headlights in the center of the car … hm looks like a train :wink: I like the “daytime” light. Any Idea about turn lights on the side? Put it in the side mirrors? Rear is slick. I prefer a Kam.back though. No grille in the bird-catcher please. I still think about some – what is this thing called in the Dyson vacuum cleaner? – thingy to pre clear the air before it clogs the filter.

On the back? I can try and fit one in :wink:
And yes, the wheel wells need some work. Good eye!

As in longer, or greater depth?

The lights are actually fairly far apart on the front. Towards the outside of the red grill strips on the hood (top view)

Thanks! I might put it on the mirrors, but I still need it on the back I think. I have been researching and it looks like sometimes the tail lights will have a red blinker inside of them. Between the two that should work.

I’ll try without it :wink:

Thanks for posting all your ideas, good to have some input from a second set of eyes.

A quick update, gas cap in the center, model text on the left. Added some ribbing to the rear panel, etc.

Working on an environment/HDRi compositing for the next post.

Here is a new shot of some added details on the hood:

I will be doing interior work soon, like seats, dashboard, gear lever, etc.

I have been busy today, I have done:

• Tire sidewalls
  • New tire rims
  • Added brakes
  • Tinted windscreen
  • Begun work on seats for interior

So after doing all that, here are a few images:

Full Render (2048 samples, full HD):

Closeup of brakes assembly:

Stuff coming up:

• Fix the rear wheel issue (too close to fender)
  • Exhaust pipes
  • Seats
  • Finish the windscreen
  • Make a custom environment/studio

I know it might look like I haven’t made much progress, but a lot of the stuff isn’t immediately visible from a full render.

Working on a good studio environment to show progress in a little better, may be a while before a new render is posted. CYA then :slight_smile:

Progress has slowed, but not stopped. I’m taking my time and trying to do it right . . . I am making an entire environment as well, maybe I will post that progress in another thread. That’s all for now :smiley:

Cool car !

Dont like the tire rims so much, too rounded, looks bizarre.

For quick studio environnements :

Thanks! And I think you are right, the rims could use some creasing/loopcuts to sharpen some of the edges. We’ll see what it looks like in one of the HDR studio lightings you linked. They look great :slight_smile:

I am planning on using the HDR as a stand-in until I can make my own, but IDK, I may end up keeping them. They look pretty good!