Which video settings to import video in Blender

Hi,

I just bought a used camcorder (JVC GZ-HM655) and wanted to use the videos in Blender.
Quickly I realized that there is a problem with interlaced video (stripes everywhere in the footage), so I downloaded Handbrake and converted the footage and could import and use it normally in Blender.

My question is: which settings should I use in Handbrake to best suit my camera and Blender (file size, codec, etc.).
I suppose Blender ill better handle some codecs than others, and some settings will generate larger files without any benefit.
The files are .MTS files (AVCHD) and Mediainfo exports are in the attachments (high quality setting and ultrahigh).

Bonus question : Do I need al the other files that my camera generates, or just the .MTS-files ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

High.pdf (16.1 KB)Ultrahigh.pdf (15.4 KB)

I believe you can just deinterlace in Blender. Select the clip in the Sequencer, hit N to bring up the properties tab. In the “Filter” section is a checkbox for deinterlacing.

Bonus question : Do I need al the other files that my camera generates, or just the .MTS-files ?

If all you need is the video and audio, no, you do not need anything other than the .MTS files. The other files contain various pieces of metadata that helps editing software recognize what’s what. Back when I used a camcorder that recorded .mts, I only kept the .mts and I was fine, though I recommend keeping all files if you are editing as part of a team.

Thanks for your reply.
I didn’t know Blender had that option.
But I was more looking for such an option in motion tracking.

So unless there is a similar option in the movie clip editor (even with the required keywords I got from your reply), my first question is still open.

Video conversion is quality vs. file size and it’s really just about how high your standards are (and how big your hard drive is). ProRes 422 at maximum quality would be a professional choice. But you can probably get away with .mov H.264 at the same bitrate as your original footage, keeping the exact same audio settings, for a good middle ground. Make sure to match dimensions and framerate, of course.

Also, if it helps, I vaguely remember seeing something about simple lossless deinterlacing using ffmpeg but I could be mistaken.

Thanks, I’lll try this.
The idea is to not use settings that generate big files but are useless since higher settings won’t enhance my video. So at one point the settings will just generate bigger files but not better video (in my case of course).

Thanks a lot for your help.