Which material looks best?

Here’s the two photos:

where could I ask which material looks best? I was thinking about materials support but I don’t know if that’s just for help on textures and materials and not this question. Is there a fourm where I can ask which of the two materials look best

the top one looks best. the bottom one is an unidentifiable material. the brain dont like that. might look better with a little bit less glossyness or even a rougher gloss.

Yeah the top one is the same but very rough. I’ll keep the top one. Thanks!

I would recommend using one of the Artwork forums (either Focused Critiques or Works in Progress). Let me know which you would prefer and I can move this thread to that subforum.

Focused critiques. It’s pretty much finished I just want to know for future reference

Moved from “Support > Blender Artists Website Support” to “Artwork > Focused Critiques”

Is it possible you could turn down the glossiness in the bottom picture? I feel like the glossiness may look good, but it’s way to high right now and contrasting with the dark wooden(?) table.

Is this better glossiness?

Bingo! I vote for this one!

EDIT : The most recent one with the glossiness adjusted.

Okay thanks!

Agreed! That’s the material you should use.

This is a lovely composition, and a great opportunity to play with materials. I strongly advise you don’t settle for any of the images shown so far, and keep trying new things - you’ve got a world of gorgeous renders to play with!

Remember, the basic setup for any material is not just “glossy” or “diffuse” but a mixture of the two. As mentioned above, even for really glossy materials, I almost never go down to 0 roughness; even 0.01 looks better.

If you’re using cycles, probably the next important thing to play with is some kind of fresnel effect. In the real world, shiny materials (ceramics, plastics, metals, chrome) react differently when light hits them at glancing angles than straight on. Use an input>layer weight node to control the mix of glossy to diffuse.