Multi-View (Stereo 3D) is in Blender (to be released in 2.75)

Hi there,
Now that we survived the first two days after the merge in master I think it’s time to announce here as well.

The commit was pushed to master yesterday [link] and it will be part of the upcoming Blender 2.75.

The workflow supports Multi-View across the entire rendering pipeline, and Stereo 3D for previewing and import/export images/movies/renders.

I wanted to create this thread in case someone wants to share the work done with the branch, maybe your workflow or even some addons made on top of the core functionality.

Hi Dalai,

You know I’ve been following this for a while. I’m very happy to see your work finally on Master, kudos :slight_smile:
I’ve been testing and everything seems to work fine. The only problem I still have (and you know I mention you already many time hehehe) is the ability to hide the entire render stats on the image view when using the new full screen mode (alt + F10). That way we could have a completely clean interface to display the output without any overlay information.

Thank you!

Does this work in the game engine?

I had read about someone tinkering with vr in the bge some time ago…

Nope… If you read through the link provided, it affects viewport / compositor / sequencer / uv&image editor / io / scene render.

That’s a real great news ! Can’t wait to play with it with my cardBoad :wink:

Hi Dalai,
thanks for all your work on this project, have been looking forward to it!
You have preview in the viewport, which is cool, but I see it is only in camera view. Is there any possibility to use the 3D view outside of camera view (panning, rotating, zooming normally) with Multiview? I mean really working in 3D.

@Zsolt: N-Panel > Lock Camera to View ?

Thank you for this feature. This is very useful!

One question : how to enable the camera in Multi-View mode? When I enable it in the scene panel and make a render, it says that the camera is not a multi-view camera. I didn’t find any camera settings to make it multiview.
Actually, I’d like to use any cameras of the scene and make them multi-view. For example : use stereo cameras exported from Maya as multiview in Blender.

Hey thanks for that, didn’t know that feature! Although in one scene where the camera was parented to an empty and had keyframes, enabling this mode moved all the obejcts around in the scene together with the camera. And the keypad view shortcuts (like 7, 1, 3) don’t work.

Hi, you have to defined the suffix in the views (e.g., _L, _R) and then name your cameras accordingly (e.g., Zoom_L, Zoom_L, Wide_R, Wide_L). This way whenever one of the Multi-View cameras is the active one, the other works as its stereo pair. You can have more views than _L, and _R, but the stereo pair is what is used for the pre-visualization.

Ok, thank you! It works well. It’s nice to have the ability to render the views on separate files.

I did several stereo renders with two scenes before, everything linked. This will be a lot better now :cool:

Great job!

Dumb question but is this going to be available in the nightly builds before 2.75 comes out? I checked the build from April 11th but Multiview wasn’t there.

That’s odd, it should be in there. You don’t have a “views” panel in the layers tab?

Oh, there it is.

There’s a good possibility I forgot to look in the layer panel, but I can neither confirm nor deny that… :o

Could you explain that? If I have 2 separate cameras, then name them whatever, If their names contain “_L” and “_R” at the ends, will they work? If not, do I have to name them what the camera views are named?

Wait, I just got it to work, thanks. I will now attempt to pair them together so I can make the views exactly as intended.

Post 3. I have learned how to activate Multi-View, but I am unable to make them both parallel or share the same original object point so I could separate them without ruining the view. Still, that leaves me having to fix it 1st.

Thanks again for this feature, I’ve used it for the first time in production and the exr file output is directly recognized by the right/left mode of Nuke!

Awesome!

That’s really nice to know. Now that Multi-View is in an official release I hope to see more and more people using it :slight_smile:

My main target was youtube, and they’ve been completely destroying their 3D viewing setups, but they promise 360 3D video, and I’m looking forward to producing that stuff inside of blender.