VSE syncing sound workflow

What is a good workflow for syncing sound and animation?

Here’s my issue, I created an animation and sync’ed it to some music, but I wanted to render .png’s to get high quality images.

Now I have PNG’s and no sound so, I opened a new file, imported all the images into the VSE and added the same audio file and matched it up. When I played in timeline it was aligned properly, but it never sync’ed properly in the final render even with switching on AV-sync in the timeline.

The original was created at 24fps, the import and second render of the individual images also at 24 fps. I am using quicktime H.264 with AAC (I’m on a mac). The audio file is an .mp3 file.

I did read in the 2.6 doc http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Output/Video
“If you want to output your movie with sound that you have loaded into the VSE, use FFMPEG.” that I should use FFmpeg if I want to sync sound, but having a problem understanding the settings and when I test, I get sound but no images, or can’t open the file on my computer.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

LcN

I may have solved this. On the second render I activated frame dropping instead of AV-sync in the timeline. This seemed to keep everything synchronized. Please comment if there is a better workflow.

The sync setting only affects preview not render. Perhaps you set up the VSE scene to work based on non-sync which will play all frames? Anyway AV-sync and frame drop should be almost the same.