Adding camera movement to tripod video?

Hello, I hope I’m posting this in the right section. I have a 1080 video shot on a tripod. I have a weird question about the possibility of using the 1080 video to be projected on a plane, then using a camera setting of 720p for rendering after adding movement to the camera, which is showing only a fraction of the projected mesh at a time. Sorry if I’m not explaining this well. I want to project a static video on a plane and using a camera in Blender add camera movement.

Can I do this and have it come out naturally? Can I do this and use a blur node in the compositor to imitate pulling focus, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully this isn’t covered here often, because my searches came up with not too much for this specifically.

Yes you can…

…but…

Motion blur will affect the whole image only in the direction of movement (anything already moving in frame may not attract correct blur). Changing depth of field requires some sort of depth or value to create depth effect. So a flat plane is not ideal for that.

You can use the addon included with Blender called “import planes as images”, you can use images OR movie files.

Seeing that there is no parallax in the original video and it can’t be added in by simply doing what you’re suggesting, it might not look as natural as you’d like. There are ways around this of course but it can involve a whole lot of roto work and / or camera projections and even then you can only do so much.

Here you go…

Thanks so much, both of you!

David, you just got a new sub on youtube for your video. Thanks a lot man. That’s actually what I started to do and got it all set up and was just about to start with the camera movement, lol the least fun part.

Yeah, but if you don’t need the motion blur or fake shallow DOF then definitely use the Transform VSE addon. Its much quicker and possibly a bit more flexible.