Cloth Simulation - Hanging a piece of clothing on the back of a chair

Still cannot figure out how to do this. I position the piece of clothing directly over the back of the chair and I want it to fall directly down. Instead, it makes some weird pirouettes in the air and always lands either on the floor or on the seat of the chair but never where I want to fall. I tried increasing the cloth’s mass, increasing the stickiness of the chair, pinning the cloth to the back of the chair - to no avail. And I haven’t been able to find any relevant video tutorials either.

Please let me know if I need to post the .blend file.

Please let me know if I need to post the .blend file.
Of course. You should always supply a blend file for support questions without having to be asked for it

Here you go:

penuar_camisoltry5.blend (2.69 MB)

I’m no master at this either but I would go about this backwards. I would start with the cloth where I want it, and change gravity to go up. Go to properties on right, click the scene button (just left of world button), and you’ll find gravity settings. Z is set to -9.81, just delete the - . I could be completely wrong but something along these lines should give you the result you want. You might have to change chair settings in the physics section. Like rigid body from active to passive so it doesn’t fall up as well. I forget but play with that and I’m betting you can pull it off.

If the cloth is doing ‘weird pirouettes’ before it touches the chair, you may have some kind of force field turned on. If it’s just a simple cloth object falling on a simple collision object, nothing should affect the cloth object until it collides with the collision object.

In addition to what Orinoco mentioned, I would also make sure you have applied scale to both the cloth object and collission object. I would also make sure that you set the origin to geometry.

Even after doing the above the cloth object may just slip off the back of the chair. So I would look into vertex pinning and also possibly adjusting damping settings.

Many thanks, adjusting the damping settings seems to have work, except that there’s somehow a gap between the chair and the piece of clothing? Like the cloth is being repelled from the collision object.

Just in case, all the Repel settings on the cloth and the collision item have been set to the minimum possible value. I have found that the same question has been asked before (I’ve found at least two threads) but no one seems to know the answer. :frowning:

I’m back to doing this simulation but still can’t figure out how to resolve this. As you can see, when I try to drop the object on a plane, it still does not land on the plane but a couple of inches higher. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Your problem is that your model is way too small, so you cannot set your collision parameters (distance and repel distance) small enough for a good simulation. I suggest you scale up your chair and top by a factor 10 in edit mode, and try again. Also, your top is overly detailed, you don’t need 23000 edges to model a simple top.

Thanks, but the problem turned out to be really simple - the outer thickness of the collision objects was set to 0.01. After turning it down to 0.001, it’s now working fine.