OpenSmash

Type: Game
Genre: Fighting
Assets needed: About 10 characters, special effects, undetermined amount of stages and items, undetermined number of cutscenes of undetermined length
What will you do: Create, texture, rig, and/or animate 3D models

I and a few other people are creating a free and open-source rewrite of Super Smash Bros in Unity3D. We need some 3D modelers and animators for new characters, stages, and items. They will need to be modeled, rigged, textured, bump-mapped, and animated. We are needing Brawl- or 4/3DS-quality models. OpenSmash will be funded through crowdfunding with a starting budget of $20K. The campaign will be launched probably at the end of the month. One of the last features to implement will be a story mode silimar to Brawl’s SSE. Development for this is far away, so it’s not really important right now. If you are interested in helping this project, please contact me on Skype at windoze96.

Thank you,
WindozeNT
Creator, OpenSmash Team

So, just to be clear, are you making an open source version of smash brothers, as in, the mechanics, or are you literally reproducing smash brothers, characters and all?

It’s a open source version using different characters. That’s what I think. If it was publicly announced that they were using the characters from the game themselves, they would risk a lawsuit.

can you post a test character sheet so we can see what kind of detail and style of models you’re looking for ? in a free section ther ar many beginners that would want to see if they can tackle the topic.

It will have everything SSB has

All characters from SSB will be present (4’s roster with Brawl cuts; Melee cuts considered). We’re not selling OpenSmash (it’s entirely free and open source) so we really aren’t violating anything. This is no different than things like Project M, which Nintendo hasn’t even attempted to shut down. Even if they do try, we already have distribution methods planned that will keep them from getting anywhere.

While the team has agreed that models will have a poly count equivalent of a Brawl or 4/3DS model, the style is undecided. It depends on how much of 4/3DS is exportable. I know models and textures have been exported, but I don’t know about bones and animations. If possible and the 4/3DS bones and animations aren’t exportable, we might import the Brawl bones and animations into the 4/3DS models. Here’s a source of SSB4 character portraits: http://www.ssbwiki.com/SSB4#Characters

Closed at OP request