Cycles Hair Material

Hi I want to start getting somewhere with my Blender knowledge, something to earn money to fuel my knowledge. I currently don’t have a powerful computer but am blessed with an i7 :slight_smile: which is one point of this topic. Is suggestions for GPU’s, ram, vram, processor, Werther or not to get an Wacom Tablet or not. so this brings me to my main topic.

To earn money. I was thinking about selling hair shaders on cgcookiemarkets.com. This would probably be a collection of about 10 to 15 shades for a price of about $65.99. First i was wondering if this is a good idea for something to sell, would people be interested? Second is this a fair price? And most importantly is my technique. I already finished on material composed of about 20 nodes with a final render as seen in the image.

It was a very simple hair settings set up so feed back on the material it self is best. If people like this enough I will sell them on the Blender market. Thanks for any feed back.

As a customer of 3d related stuff I think it’s definintly a good idea of product to sell.

The price seams hi compare to others material that are sold on the blender market thoug. There is set of 10 to 12 materials for around 15~20$. It will depend on your final material quanlity and how the variation add to the pack but even if the quality was good enough to aim for this price, you may want then to consider selling it in multiple smaller packs as well for hobyist with a tighter buget.

The hairs looks far too large in my opinion. I can’t realy say if it’s the particul that are united in strands at the top that make them looks almost as large as spagettis there or if the particules are large at the top and fine at the botom.

As you will need some promo picture anyway for the market, it will be a good start to make more realistic hairs to display your texture on, so it will be usefull both for you in the end and for us as it’s hard to critique a hair texture on hair that look far to large. How will it looks on realistic looking hair is hard to tell for me right now.

Plus you may use them as a “bonus” giving your particule set up to the customer with the materials will increase the value of your product by offering your customers a turn key solution.

It’s not the shaders that give people heartburn over hair. Sure, there are some techniques, but once you know them, you can knock out as many shaders as you like. The market is in hair styles. That’s the time consuming, frustrating, 800 lb gorilla in the make-a-nice-model market.

I think one shader would be more than enough, especially if the user had some input, either through nodes or a texture, as to the hair color, with a dozen different hair styles. Wigs, if you will. With some simple way to fit it onto my character’s head. Maybe options in how the hair animates.

@androol so what you are saying is that this will sell? And I realize that the hair is not perfect i even had to scale the over all model by 25%. I havent had a chance to make a good hair physics. this was a quick model i made and will create a better scene when I see if this will sell or not.

@orinoco your saying that to focus on hair styles and not the shader and sell them more of a add on to the styles?

Basicaly what im also asking here is the realize of the hair material. and if people will buy this one shader for $5.00? if so then i will make more so that i have more prophet and make a bundle

Hi Blendify

do not want to put out fires of enthusiasm here, but if and that is if you can make CG hair as per attached pic, it will sell.
make your product and then let people see, if it is good it will sell. i think you are also being unrealistic with your price unless your pack contains maybe ten different hair styles with colour variants.

Shaun

Speed777777

i am making about ten different kinds so each would be $7

Hi Blendify

Looking forward then to see the 1st one then. :yes:

Shaun

The thing is, color variant aren’t worth the same as a full shader. Tweeking color is only one part of making hair shader so the bundle can’t be evaluated in multipliying the price of one hair. That plus the fact that the main point of buying bundle is to have a price reduction on larger buying in the eye of a customer. Anyway as I said before, it’s hard to evaluate a price on an unfinished work.

I think, on some degree, I agree with Onirico. Daz studio sell a lot of 3d hairs, it’s mainly strand hair that daz is selling, but it make sens in blender to go for particules. They also sell hair colors, but yes the main market is to full hair style. That was in part why I said that if you do a hair style to develope and promot your shaders it will be a good bonus for your bundle. This part is theoretical as I many thinked of it but didn’t pass to practice. To adapt hair to any model, if you have a skull cap to grow your hair on, you can adapt it to the size of many head and use a second scull cap with material that client can shrinkwarp to the surface of the skull of their own 3d model.

I think a good skull cap in anyway required for any good looking hair material to soften the transition betwin the particule and the model.

thanks for the information im going to develop this a bit more and hopefully put on the blender market some good hair styles