Black Leather Couch

Hey,

Could you give me some critiques on these renders ?

Old renders :
d=1427985800
d=1427985549
d=1427985611

Which one do you like most ?
(second render = texture on the couch frame is messed up)

EDIT :
LAST RENDER !

The first one definitely looks the most realistic to me. However, one thing that struck me with all of the renders is that the pillows are copies of eachother. Perhaps change the individual folds so they aren’t so identical.

Soften up the edges on the frame… currently they’re too sharp. I agree about the cushion wrinkle details as well.

Thank you very much for the critiques. I really though the third render was the best. The identical folds issue is going to be fixed, I’ll add unique pillows and render them out.

What do you think about the camera views, which one is best ? Did you notice, in the the third render i used depth of field, however i find that it hides all the detail in the model.

I will smooth them, i was actually using a bevel, should i go for a subdiv ?

I am currently re-modelling the entire couch taking on board your advice (smooth frame and randomize the pillow’s wrinkles).
However i am going to post some previous renders i did. Here is the very first couch render, tell me if the lighting look’s nice (or worse or better than the last renders).

OLD LIGHTING SETUP :

STUDIO LIGHTING SETUP 1 :

STUDIO LIGHTING SETUP 2 : lost quality because of very powerful lighting

Didn’t have time to render the thing, but managed to get a OpenGL window render. Here is the finished couch.
Are the edges smoothed enough ? Also, cushions and pillows are all different !
Will post the render as soon as i can :wink:

Yes, much better! Looking forward to the render.

There it is, the shader look’s not right…

Hi Ivan

Your couch is coming along very nicely.

If I may, some points.

1. Your couch looks very upright at the back and would be uncomfortable to sit on.
  2. The seat part looks to long, like your knees would not reach the edges.
  3. The actual leather cushions and armrests look like they are too small for the couch, they all need to be made bigger in order to look and feel plush and comfortable.
  4. Your couch needs some feet.
  5. Your base is to angular, make all the edges softer.
  6. For render get your couch onto a floor to give off some shadows.
  7. Not sure if the leather texture is not a good one or your bump map is not showing up, you need to work on that.

Sorry if I carried on too long, keep it up, looking forward to see it finished.

Shaun

Hey Shaun

"
Long critiques are the most helpful! Thank you very much for taking the time helpping me.

I will work on the couch this weekend so i can hopefully render it on Tuesday.
This couch look’s really nice! It inspires me to improve mine (that’s from IKEA, is that right ?)

1. couch upright => re-model couch (like the one on the picture)
  2. seat part too long => use real dimensions : http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00272939/#

“Armrest height: 61 cm
Seat width: 93 cm / 130 cm
Seat depth: 60 cm
Seat height: 41 cm
Width: 93 cm / 175 cm”

1. bigger cushions and armrests => re-model couch
  2. couch feet => i thought of that but didn’t do it, i need to !
  3. edges softer => re-model couch
  4. floor for render (shadows) => i removed the background in compositor (i’ll bring it back)
  5. shader is wrong => re-shade !

WIP !

Working on the new couch : here’s a quick screen shot

I also worked on the black leather couch :

1. couch upright = done
  2. seat part too long = done
  3. bigger cushions and armrests = the sides are not done yet
  4. couch feet => done
  5. edges softer => have to redo the frame

Hi Ivan

Hope you do not mind that I have drawn on your pic.

The proportion of the seat as well as the inclination of the backrest is looking much better.

Some points again and I know you have mentioned some of them.

1. Get the cushions to overhang the edge of the frame a little bit in the front, do not to stop short as you have it.
  2. Make the backrest cushion longer to overlap the frame and sit on the armrest.
  3. The frame still needs its edges softened.
  4. Get the leather on the armrests to overhang on the front and on the side as well.

Your goal here is to make this couch look as comfortable as possible that whoever sees it will want to buy it and sit on it.

Your cushions puffiness and creasing is looking very natural and realistic.

Keep going.

Shaun

I feel i made a lot of progress there, still need the background plane for nice shadows…

It’s flying over the plane mesh…

Anything to add ?

I feel like you’re stuck right between CG and Photorealism here. Are you using HDRI lighting? I prefer to use to HDR’s (one blurred for reflections, and one bright for color, set to non-color data, fed through an individual background node and “added” together). Some of the shadows in the couch feel too deep, while others look way to shallow. Also the surface reflections look slightly “off”, idk why, but if you try HDR lighting, the colors from the image will help add some pop to those reflections.

I did not use a HDRI here, however i have in my past renders, and the result doesn’t look good, the colors of the couch are washed out.
How to i get a HDRI blurred in the nodes ?

Here’s the render using another studio setup and a HDRI, what do you think ?

Hey i’m back with a lot of new renders made using HDRI with different settings for the environment.

RENDER 1 : brown material - curve mesh background - HDRI (1) strength of 1 - 3 spot lights

RENDER 2 : brown material - curve mesh background - HDRI (1) strength of 0.5 - 3 spot lights

RENDER 1 : brown material - curve mesh background - HDRI (1) strength of 0.2 - 3 spot lights

Do i need the two to be set to non color data ?