Kuadro: a new way of managing reference images

Check this out:
http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

So simple, yet brilliant. I have already adopted it in my workflow. Awesome little tool. You want this, especially when you work on multiple screens, and you deal with reference images on a regular basis.

Wacom support is nice too.

very cool!!!

That’s just awesome. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing ! Amazing tool :slight_smile:

fantastico!!! :slight_smile:

I plan to adopt this into my workflow ASAP :smiley:

Does it support more image formats than the windows viewer?

This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

No, I do not think so. I have the FastPictureViewer codec installed, and even then it does not read the extended formats. Perhaps I will send a request…

I just downloaded that codec program, looks promising!

You may also want to investigate SageThumbs, which is an open source version.
https://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

The ability to view PSD, RAW, AI, and so on, as thumbnails (and in the Windows Preview) is a great workflow booster.

I asked the developer about this, and he wrote back that his intention is to implement PSD and RAW image support in an upcoming version :slight_smile:

Awesome stuff!

It looks great, too bad its not crossplatform, but at least there is PureRef.

Hey everyone,

I’m glad you like Kuadro! I just released an OSX version, and I do intent on supporting a lot more file formats soon. Currently I’m using Qt’s default formats, but I’m planning on integrating a different image reading library.

http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro

Thanks for the support!

most window managers on linux support the feature to let the user tag a window to be always above the others.

Hi,
Kuadro is really really great, thanks a lot for that ! Started using it and immediately fell in love with it.

Blurymind: maybe you misunderstood the concept, this is not just always above(you can do that on all OSes) - you can also crop and rotate on the fly, which is exactly what a modeller needs… and also enables you to keep you setup ,e.t.c. so it saves a lot of time.

Would it be very difficult to support OSX 10.8 too?

Cool, was just thinking the other day I need a better way to manage ref images. Thanks for the heads up.

I needed this all my life! THANK GOD!

I guess we could have something similar inside Blender’s viewport using a mix of background images with the stencil code for texture projection (where we can view images in perspective mode, can scale and rotate them).

@blurymind Even though we have this option for Linux (setting images to be always on top), having it automatic, and without windows decorations (with, if you take multiple reference images into consideration, could take a huge amount of space) is really good!
Do you know of any imageviewer that can replicate something as similar as this one? I’m thinking about replacing Gnome’s image viewer, because it doesn’t even allow you to flip a image by using a shortcut (it’s something I do really frequently), so I’m already searching for something better.