Adris 3D game development on Google+ communities

Hi! I wanted to tell that my open-project’s 3D game development now is aviable on Google+ for easiet communication. Now I wish I had some active people that would like to develop together with me because, as you know- we are weak alone, but in team we become the strongest:)
The community page: https://plus.google.com/communities/110875036466891344232
Team’s blog(I might need some help on designing/making it functional): http://adris3d.blogspot.com

Your computer isn’t low spec, compared to many out there. Install drivers - you should simply be able to point out computers are supposed to run with the drivers from the manufacturer, and using native windows drivers is poor for performance and longevity of the hardware.

Native linux drivers, you meant, right? Actually, the CPU is quite good(quadcore 3.4GHz is almost gamer computers worthy), but the GPU: GT610. The 1 means it is low end. Even previously with drivers, which boosted me up 4 times, it was quite slow and weak(I was running Minecraft on poor 70 FPS, using SEUS standart 1.0 shadow res- 18 FPS. However, my most problem is that so this is my parents’ computer, not mine. They don’t allow me to install 331.113 or 346 series drivers. Maybe it is to fast to get my own computer being 14 years old, but I don’t think so. However, this post wasn’t for making converstions about a single post in my team’s blog:D

Joined the community

Good, quickmind! What’s your name there?:slight_smile: OK! I am going to post my current progress of one of my current projects out there;)

It is Quickmind2020

I see only Austin Earl, irinna champaing and 林顯榮:D

70 FPS is poor? I run minecraft at 15-25 fps with all settings on low…

Currently I can run it on 20 FPS. If you can’t run minecraft good enaugh, why can you run your own blender games so good? I am afraid my GPU will blow up one day because of my games which are LOWER than minecraft, except they use GLSL…

Alright, right off the bat:
(from your blog)

Don’t blame your pc, blame yourself.
I haven’t been able to play ANY of your games because they all ran so poorly. Shouldn’t be happening, they’re all so simple.

If you can’t run minecraft good enaugh, why can you run your own blender games so good?

Because unlike someone, he knows how to optimize his games.
Don’t know where you got the idea that you need a good computer to make a Blender game.

(also from blog)

I can’t develop games with so awful computer quite well

Are you serious? My computer is at least 3x worse than yours, and I’ve been getting along just fine.

RP97 has a good point. Until you get a job to pay for things you gotta work within the limits of the system provided.

For awhile I also worked with the novuea driver on a lesser 130 GT laptop.
Avoid fancy shaders and ridiculous polycounts and you’ll be fine. You don’t need those things to make a good game.

i agree this point. There are lots of things to calculate with during any project. For example there are lighting settings, especially the shadows which effects to the game’s framerate enormously , or object settings, if those have backface culling or not and even physics etc …

you are using Ubuntu linux right? This should be an optimal environment to develope any game with blender.

Just to add: Ubuntu linux is actually regarded as one of the slowest linux distros out there becuase so much stuff has been installed on it to make it “user friendly”. If you want an environment designed for software and game development and is still easy to work with, go with Arch linux.

i just tested the floated away file of adriansnetlis on my system

Windows 7
AMD Athlon ™ x 4 740 Quad core processor 3.20GHz
8 GB Ram

hm i usually play many games on it with full quality and maximal frame rates but your file just gives about 10 - 15fps. I dont know what is the problem

@TBT, i might try that arch linux, thanks TBT

I decided to try your floated away demo as well Adrian. I’m not saying this too be rude, but it feels like its a mess. Looking at all your logic bricks screams to me that you should really consider python to clean it up. looking at your game gave mixed results, sometimes it would run at 60 fps until i added too many logs, and sometimes it would seem to lock itself at 30 fps, i don’t know if its with your game doing it or blender though. 2.73 isn’t really stable for me.

Anyone it looks like physics and logic are the problem, if you change the players arm mesh from static to no collision the physics is heavily reduced, at least for me it did. For the logic problem, I have no idea what is for sure causing it to sky rocket, but adding a bunch of logs seems to make it worse, so that is a place to start, id say remove all the mouse over sensors on the logs and just make a script the runs a mouse over any on the player, that should reduce some of the logic I think.

OK! I am planning to do it, but… I wanted to make full reboot, but I can’t handle martinsh water/underwater shaders, altough watersurface works very well(the file that I can download in martinsh thread can be run in fulscreen at 18FPS, in optimal window- 30FPS which looks like my graphics card framerate cap with theese weak drivers. However- why logic bricks makes games so weak?

oh sorry Austin Earl is my school account… Quickmind2020 is the one that is me personally
oh by the way you think your computer is bad… ha ha ha mine is… it is a windows vista 2Gbs ram and the graphics…well i can’t use shadders on it…on my laptop yes but desk top nope.:yes: Oh possessor is a duo core intell… 2.6 GHz…yea…sad

Here is the blend with the mesh set to no collision and the mouse over removed from the log object, I changed it so instead of left clicking to lower the status of the tree you right click. This is just so you don’t add logs while you are trying to take them down. Does that yield any noticeable performance gain for you?

blend file

Also, you should NEVER have collision set to triangle mesh (and you should use convex hull collision sparingly) unless it is on the terrain or very low poly objects. If you need the collision mesh to conform to your object, you should make a low poly collision mesh yourself.
And, like I said in the google+ comment. You should focus on playability for the moment and leave visual quality for last otherwise you will bog down your game and lose interest in it because it will become too hard to work with (It took me far too long to come to terms with this on my own :frowning: ).

Here are some questions you should answer that will help us help you:

What exactly is your game going to be about? (survival game, actual story, etc.)

What is the ultimate goal of this project? (to make a publishable game, experimentation and learning, etc.)

FPS didn’t come up, at least there wasn’t big improvement. I get ~12 FPS… However, I would like to know- how big chance there is so the latest NVIDIA drivers that support GT610 will make my screen black or make other software modules to not work? If I am not wrong, previously, when I had(of course it was quite old driver)331.89, I had some internet problems…