Paintstormstudio

New awesome paintingsoftware at just 19 bought it and having great fun with it.
its ideal for that speedpainting look.

Wow… paint apps don’t usually impress me these days, but I have to admit that that was pretty awesome.

Impressive indeed.

Doors it have layer styles and filters too?

Nope. No filters and no styles. It’s a painting app. If you compare it with photoshop, well, there’s a ton of features that photoshop has that Paintstorm doesn’t, so it isn’t a replacement by any stretch of the imagination. But the functionality that is there works pretty great!

I just bought it and I’m thoroughly enjoying myself. It’s probably my best spent 19 bucks this year :slight_smile:

Color correction layers have been requested and are on their way though. I think this app as a lot of potential, when you see what you can already do with it today.

So would you say GIMP + PaintStorm = somewhat Photoshop replacement ? (I don’t think Photoshop can be replaced, so I use word “somewhat” :slight_smile: )

Well gimp AFAIR doesn’t have layer styles either, so, uh, no? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it does, but I never used layer styles in Photoshop (the latest I worked with was CS2) :slight_smile:

Well, for a more serious answer - Paintstorm is for painting. Photoshop is for editing. I suppose if you’re happy with gimp’s editing capabilities, you could probably use it instead of Photoshop, and if you used Paintstorm for your painting you wouldn’t suffer as much from Gimp’s painting tools.

Note however that while Paintstorm is a great painting app, it’s an app for painting pictures. I suspect you want to use it to paint textures. Paintstorm doesn’t have many features for texture painting - no wraparound, rudimentary selection, rudimentary transforms, if there’s a clone brush I haven’t found it yet, etc. Krita may be the better choice for textures.

Oh, that sucks :frowning: I got Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 7 to paint/sketch. I was actually thinking of working on textures with PaintStorm. Oh well, gotta wait until Krita works well on Windows :slight_smile:

They sure know how to make marketing videos, the way the features look implemented now look pretty good and the UI gives the feel of a powerful studio with plenty of tools.

Of course, this might mean that the app. could look overwhelming at first and a second look at the Krita website suggests that it’s likely not going to become its executioner. The only reservation I have from the marketing video, what, the red stripe texture doesn’t actually rotate when the stroke curves?

It is pretty cool and the license is very affordable.

I really really really wish it gets ported to linux one day! :slight_smile:

Agreed, a port to linux would be cool!

As a side note - PS layer styles just give away that the art was done in PS, but the power of PS comes in the adjustment layers and channel mixing.

I couldnt get it to work in wine unfortunately. :slight_smile:

You should save your $19 for the next Krita crowd funder :wink:

Eh, I picked it up a bit ago. It’s a great application, well worth $20. If this is just the beginning, then it has amazing growth potential.

If it was on linux, I’d get that alongside all the other apps that I have - everything has a use at one point or another. Sometimes you just need a different work environment to trigger an idea. Still might get it for here at work on the mac if I can get permission.