Armature and mesh change shape in object mode?

Hey everyone.

Minor problem; just got everything rigged and weigh painted, when I stumbled across an issue.
Switching to any mode except edit mode changes the location of the bones and therefore the shape of the mesh.
I don’t want this to happen.
Yes, I have gone to pose mode and done the ol’ alt+g,r,s. Nothing happens.
So…help?

.blend includedFemale 1 Mk. 12 rig test mk.1 HELP 2 .blend (2.31 MB)

It looks like you have unapplied scale and locations on your mesh and your armature. Even worse, you did not rig at “ground zero”. When I cleared the location, rotation and scale in object mode, the armature and mesh do not go back to the center of the scene. Also, your origin points are different for your mesh and your armature. They should be the same location, ideally, the center of the scene.

Search the forums for the solution. It seams like I answer this same question/problem several times a week.

One more tip: You should name your bones something more descriptive then bone.xxx. It makes editing and problem solving a lot easier.

Good luck!

Well, half thanks. You seemed to have identified the problem (I think), but didn’t really get me any closer to finding a solution.

I’ve looked through the forums, and the only problems with this that I see are solved with Alt+g,r,s, which doesn’t help me.

My bones only get named on a needed basis; most of the bones that are just bone.xxx are hidden bones that just let the modifiers work correctly, the rest that are bone.xxx are a few spine bones, unnamed because they don’t really need it.

My newest question for you would be if I set the origin points of the mesh and the armature to the center, would it fix it?

1 Like

Bump.

Still looking for an answer, resetting the origin points to the center didn’t help.

EDIT: Experimenting some, and the change from edit/pose mode seems to only happen above the upper torso; everything below the hips is unaffected, everything above moves. Not sure if it’s relevant to a solution, just though it might help.

Upload your new file that includes the reset origins. Your torso bones and head/neck bones are not aligned. You can see this if you look at the transform properties head and tail “x” values. They should all be 0.00.

This may are may not be the final answer to your issues.

Because of your stance on naming, I am still having a hard time figuring out what bone is what and also it’s intended purpose. It’s your rig. Do what you wish, but remember, you came here asking for help, not the other way around.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, i’ve had issues with my internet…

New file!:Female 1 Mk. 12 rig test mk.1 HELP 3 .blend (3.02 MB)
When I changed the values of the head and tail x values to 0, they were perfectly aligned in edit mode, but any other mode, the head was…tilting. No idea why, considering the biggest value was .0056, which doesn’t seem different enough from 0 to give such a big lean.
Anyway, I loaded the file up again, centered it, and did nothing to the bones. Same issue with the edit/any other mode, and now, the mirror modifier has lost it’s mind, committing murder on my character and splitting open her face, and nothing else.

Honestly, I have no idea what’s going on. Please send help, I worry the mirror modifier may target me next.
Thanks!

Just wanted to pop back in to say I’m kind of an idiot.
Remember how I said the Atl+G,R,S wasn’t working?

I was trying to do that in object mode, not pose mode.
So, uh…

Lesson of the day, try the solution in all modes, not just one.