Robot Room

Here is another painting based on a Blender Marquette.

The final drawing…

The layout I built in Blender…

Lensing and layout. I really kept the model simple, just caring about railings and roof/floor/walls here.

1 Like

GI pass…

Then line-art was made in Illustrator tough I use Inkscape quite happily too ;))

The first colour I concern myself with was the diffuse colour, the base colour for everything.

1 Like

Next is the ambient occlusion, the darkness in the cracks and corners of things. Here the GI pass in cycles gave me some pointers.

I set the BG to black and paint the incandescent light next. Again, all hand painted, taking into account the play of lights on the walls and reflections on the floor. Trying to keep in mind the specularity and reflectance of the surfaces is part of the fun.

The blue Ocean light streaming in from behind the robots was next.

1 Like

Then the blue light thrown up by the central pool. I found a caustic map online and warped it about it in Photoshop.

The last elements were monitors, buttons and other self-illuminated pieces. I also added glows and lensflares.

Here are all the light passes combined.

It’s a really interesting way to paint. Give it a try. :slight_smile:
Cheers, Glenn

1 Like

I just admire how you work.
So clever workflow and every artwork are kinda mamsterpiece.

Totaly love it. Great work.

Well, I can give you credit for trying to work on a hybrid 2D/3D technique that I don’t remember seeing on these forums (with very good results as well).

The only thing is that the blue light on the ladder seems a little off with it going further up one side than the other (on a section that’s supposed to be straight). You seem to be pretty good at manual lighting overall though.

That’s the nature of hand painting light sources I guess. Photo-reality was not what I was going for but I suppose you are right. :wink:

Glenn

Nicely done! I think you could change the color of floor and walls, make them different, now they just blend and look a little bit dull, but that’s just me. The overall impression is very positive.

I played with all sorts of colours for the room on the diffuse colour layer ( which is the benefit of lighting in layers) but settled on a neutral palette, not sure why. It’s easy enough to tweak though.

First I saw those different pass images, then I read that they were hand-painted, then my brain exploded.

Very interesting work!

Like mine did painting it :slight_smile:
I think it’s a great exercise in understanding light. Well worth the effort.

G

looks great! some nice techniques you have going on.