Need tips for realistic texturing

hi,

I want to improve my my texturing.

At the moment i’am at this point but it look not so very realistic.
does anyone have some tips or other ways to texture?

Thx,

Ian

My first thought was “has it been used? And if so, there should be some …‘wear and tear’ on it”.

Considering your node setup but no UV’s, I wonder if it’s procedural or not.

Oh, replied from my phone, so couldn’t see it properly. The texture itself, though somewhat repetitive, seems okay. So as I mentioned. … maybe some wear and tear.

In my opinion the bump on the wood is too strong. I also wonder why you’re using the displacement input of the Material Output node as well as well as the normal input of the glossy and diffuse shader to create bump. Both ways more or less have the same effect but your node set-up gets more complicated. I would recommend leaving the normal map as normal maps are more dificult to handle and just use the ordinary bump map. Keep it up :slight_smile:

The Textures are really fine. They look realistic to the extend of the texture itself, but the problem is the light.
Watch some videos on lighting in Cycles and it will improve a lot.

The way the grain wraps over the end of the board is unnatural. The transition from flat grain to end grain is something that anyone who has seen the real thing will expect to see in a picture. Yes, I know it’s a mongrel of a thing to model in CG.

Basic reference pic here: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/4260/14088/wooden-bread-board.jpg