Volumetric, Textured Lighting For Tower Fall Simulations

The glass towers with the camera pan is my fave, what was the sim time on it?

This is totally mindblowing… the computing power put into this alone is ridiculous, not even mentioning the artistic thought clearly behind it :slight_smile: 5 stars and a round of applause.

Very good simulations and excellent atmosphere!

My favorites are those with glass material and that with the emission light ball.

I can’t remember the sim times exactly, but they all simulated in the ballpark of 1 hour

Thank you all for the feedback :slight_smile:

That’s absolutely fascinating work. The whole video is very well done and IMO the music suits it perfectly.

One thought I did have: how hard would it be to simulate a standard controlled demolition, where the entire tower drops within its ground footprint?

Thank you very much

That’s an interesting question. I think it would be difficult with this sort of building, because of how densely packed the planks are. In reality, tall buildings are mainly air so they’re quite fragile - a detonation in the right place can make it all fall into a very small pile of rubble. It might be possible with this sort of building with plenty of gaps inside it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmekio7XzY&list=LLdiTXx3e55HrQepgWj2Tt3w&index=110

It would be interesting to try anyway

3:40 is absolutely mesmerizing. Great job! :smiley:

Thank you !

Yeah I was thinking about it some more and it’s probably going to depend on being able to simulate the properties of real concrete, particularly the ability to crumble. That could push the required rendering power sky high.

I don’t think that’s completely necessary, it would probably be possible to make something similar to what you’re talking about with a more usual construction, but it might require something like constraints between bricks to make it more lifelike.