Help : Pipe tree shading is incorrect

Upload this.blend (618 KB)

I am new to blender and this form, but this is the only problem I have had so far that I couldn’t find a solution with. I may be just looking in the wrong places but anyways.

The lower pipe is supposed to be cylindrical but it isn’t and I can’t find out a way to trick Blender into thinking it is without actually making it cylindrical and hand painting it. I would like to be able to use the groups of shaders and textures I made. So I just wonder if any of you guys know how to fix the shading in those two problem areas. Also tell me if what I am saying is not making sense I will try to show or elaborate more.

Thank you in advance for your time, also you may use the shaders in this project, in any of your projects.

Edit : Also while this is here does anyone know how to add color to the low areas of my bump map thanks.

the problem is probably having to do with your topology. opt for an even net of quad faces, rather than long skinny triangles ( or quads ) and n-gons. you can turn most of those triangles into quads by selecting all and hitting alt J. try to eliminate extraneous edge loops, and if you will be subsurfacing, make edge loops near the edges that should remain somewhat sharp.
(edit) you could also try using retopo to remake your mesh using the original as a guiding surface

Thanks for the reply I have tried many different variations of what you mentioned to no avail, however I have not tried the last thing yet so I will try that now. How would one go about recreating the topology in order to make those areas look round again? I have the Pipe joints add-on it doesn’t have a tree pipe piece by the way.

Oh and thanks for the nodes tutorial.

Thanks for the reply I have tried many different variations of what you mentioned to no avail, however I have not tried the last thing yet so I will try that now. How would one go about recreating the topology in order to make those areas look round again?

Oh and thanks for the nodes tutorial.

I made this compound ‘object’ using the spin tool, on a circle of default density. I could now retopo this, to make a solid non manifold mesh, with optimal topology.

The add-on “Pipe Joints” - saves all that head-ache

oh yeah I forgot about that. good call.

Thanks for the helpful comments, I redid the topology and it seems to be handling light much better now.

First time I have even heard of topology so thanks and I will now need to do some more work and practice at understanding topological flow.

So yeah thanks a lot! :slight_smile: :smiley: