Need a volunteer to model an iceberg/glacier

Hey guys.

I am currently doing a project involving an iceberg of some kind and need to 3D print it. I have tried modeling itself but have so far been unable to to this. So I am asking you guys for help.

The base of the iceberg needs to be round and look as natural as possible. This is close to the look that I am going for:

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there, quick question. Does the iceberg need to be flat/cut-off where it would essentially enter the water (making it much shorter in height)? Or, do you want the entire bottom included in the model as well (more like the second image you posted)?

I’m no good for modelling bergs, but I can tell you that example wouldn’t float right side up. I am pretty good on basic hydrostatics. If you look around the web you should be able to find accurate representations of bergs. They have a much wider underwater mass with a lot more ice in it. It’s also very much rounded off beneath the water. That pic is far too jagged underwater for a real berg.

Obviously none of this matters if you’re only modelling to the waterline. Just thought I’d mention it in case you want the whole thing.

Hey there, quick question. Does the iceberg need to be flat/cut-off where it would essentially enter the water (making it much shorter in height)? Or, do you want the entire bottom included in the model as well (more like the second image you posted

Basically the iceberg will be cut off the waterheight, have a flat base and fit in a circle. So no, the bottom in the model will not be include.

I’m no good for modelling bergs, but I can tell you that example wouldn’t float right side up. I am pretty good on basic hydrostatics. If you look around the web you should be able to find accurate representations of bergs. They have a much wider underwater mass with a lot more ice in it. It’s also very much rounded off beneath the water. That pic is far too jagged underwater for a real berg.

Obviously none of this matters if you’re only modelling to the waterline. Just thought I’d mention it in case you want the whole thing.

Thank for the information! I will only be needing the model above the waterline for this project but good to know for future references. Cheers!

Hey there, quick question. Does the iceberg need to be flat/cut-off where it would essentially enter the water (making it much shorter in height)? Or, do you want the entire bottom included in the model as well (more like the second image you posted)?

Yeah I the cut off is at waterheight and the base is flat. So no bottom in the model.

@Gumboots is right. This is a much better reference for shaping

Attachments

But why not try to use the addon ANT Landscape, with that you can easily create an iceberg.

YouTube ANT Landscape videos

What about something like this?

iceberge2.blend (5.42 MB)

Thanks for trying man! Its not quite what we are looking for though, I would prefer much sharper edges but the form itself is pretty close. The jagged edges on the second image in the opening post is really what I’m talking about.

Also the base has to be perfectly circular and completely flat.

Cheers!

More like this?

Thought I might as well give it a go. it has just over 112,000 verts, but it is easy to un-subdivide if necessary as it consists only of quads. The base is not circular or flat yet, but i am currently doing that now. just thought i should post this to see if i’m on the right track

:slight_smile: What do you think? Is it what you need or should i change it?

Attachments

Wow, it looks fantastic, thanks a lot mate.

Could you maybe pass on the .blend file?

I’ve managed to create a flat circular base for the mesh. It is completely flat at the bottom because that is what i assume you want.

The mesh is air-tight, no holes, so i am pretty sure it should be good for 3d printing.

The mesh now has a few tri’s, at the very centre of the base. This is because i had to poke one of the rounded faces to avoid ngons. If you prefer it to be an n-gon fill at the centre rather than a triangle fan than let me know. I can easily change it.

The mesh now has just over 166,000 verts with the base added

Anyway, here it is. -

Attachments

Hey man… I just realised that i didn’t upload the .blend for you, sorry i forgot.

I’ve been having trouble uploading the .blend here on BA, so i have uploaded it to pasteall.com heres the link -

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/35385

Can you upload a picture of what you do with it? i would like to see :slight_smile: thanks man.

no problem man :slight_smile: