Texture Painting with Particles?

Does anyone know if it is possible to paint a texture on one mesh, using particles emmitted from another mesh? I don’t want a displacement, or the geometry to be changed – I’m more looking for the particles to leave bits of color behind when they hit the target mesh (similar to how spray paint would work). I read a little bit about the point density texture, but it seems like that won’t work in Cycles, and I would like to be able to do this with Cycles. I have an image attached which illustrates the idea I am talking about. Thoughts, tips, tutorials? Thanks much!

You can use dynamic paint, just set the big plane as a canvas and the emitting plane as brush and select the particle system.

Yes… and subdivide the canvas as much as you need to get a good resolution.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help!

If you use the vertex paint method, subdivide like crazy to get good resolution like Piet mentions. If you use images, make sure your image size is good enough to get the detail you want. Dynamic paint all the way, this is a fun way to get stuff going - I like to bake out several frames and use them as variations in the same texture with the compositor.