Certain parts of character not deforming in the way I desire

As we can see here, this is clearly not the way I want the arm to deform.

It’s strange because the other arm deforms in pretty much the way I want it to:

However, even when doing so, the other arm deforms in the way I don’t want it to, too.

As far as I’m aware, there are no differences between the properties of the two arms, however, there could be, unbeknownst to me.

Also, every time I try to pose my mesh, the legs deform, too; I’m presuming it’s the same problem as the arm which is deforming in the way I don’t want it to.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I pretty much just have this to do then I can get on with animation, which I can’t wait to do!

Thanks

Without seeing your armature set up (constraints, parenting, etc.) there’s no real way to tell. This, by the way, is a rigging problem, not a basics and interface problem, so you may not get the eyeballs you need.

Post your blend, either here or at pasteall, so someone can take a look at it, but before you do, give all your bones reasonable names. (If your anatomy isn’t good, add a rigify meta rig and use the same names as those bones.) It’s impolite to make people you ask to help to do extra work trying to figure out what your bones are supposed to be, in addition to investigating the problem.

Finally, spend some time studying Humane Rigging, by Norman Vegdhal. You’ll be glad you did. :smiley:

Basically, the forearm and the lower legs are parented in the exact same way as each other. They are each parented to an armature in front of them and directly behind them. I’ve checked the settings and there isn’t anything different in the settings. Think it’s pretty clear which bones are supposed to be which, if you have a basic understanding of human anatomy?

That’s not the point. Working on a rig where all the bones are named bone.nnn is a pain in the butt. Now, you can decide that your superior knowledge of anatomy exempts you from the best rigging practice of giving your bones appropriate names, but you shouldn’t take that attitude with people you are asking to help you out.

As I said earlier, without taking a look at your rig, it’s impossible to say what might be the problem. There are many things that can go wrong when you put together a rig from scratch. Telling me a bone that doesn’t work properly has exactly the same set up as another bone that doesn’t work properly isn’t giving me anything I need to diagnose the problem.

Rename your bones, post your blend.

Thanks for your help so far. :slight_smile: I will rename the bones. What exactly do you mean by posting my blend, sorry? I’m relatively inexperienced at this, sorry. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

The only difference as far as I can tell is the pole angle but should that make a difference?

Posting your blend means either attaching your blend file to a post here at BlenderArtist (if it’s a small enough file) or by uploading it to some third party file sharing site (pasteall is used quite a bit) and putting the link to the blend in your post. That way people can download your blend file and examine it.

I’ve noticed you have three posts, all in the wrong sub forum, relating to this rig. I’d suggest you start fresh, with a thread in Animation and Rigging, and let the others you started in Basics and Interface simply slip into oblivion (IOW: don’t post in them so they slide off the front page and new posts). What you’re doing really can be considered spamming the forum, although I don’t think the mods are going to get on you for it, since you do have a legitimate problem.