Search & Replace in datablock names

I was wondering if Blender has any “Search & Replace” function which I could use to replace words in datablock names (objects, meshes, materials, armatures, scenes, etc) as well as the paths and names of files (images, sounds, etc). Basically any word that’s manually defined and / or editable by the user in a blend file… less for the contents of text files of course.

I’m asking because one of my blends contains a lot of objects that need to be renamed. In essence, they are all named foo_armature / foo_mesh / foo_material / etc, and I wish to replace them with bar_armature / bar_mesh / bar_material / etc. Is there an easy way? Thanks.

See if this can help in any way http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Object/Batch_Rename_Datablocks

I will try it out soon. But if it works properly, that looks like what I was looking for. Thanks!

Only question is if it supports replacing precise words in the string. So if an object is named foo_myword_bar, I can replace just myword and get foo_newword_bar. The screenshot doesn’t clarify that.