Bending mesh

Hi guys - me again with another noob question :slight_smile:

I’m trying to get an understanding of the different tools for bending a mesh.

Firstly, in a tut on the intersect tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rwvxusuJXU he effortlessly bends a tube using Sift-w. When I try that, I get a mangled mess.

Secondly, there is the Mesh>Transform>Warp tool - I’ve had one successful try, but mainly it does bend, but the ends don’t quite meet and are not aligned, even though it is set at 360 degree, 0 offset. The default settings for max and min are really strange numbers, like -12.357 and 15.798. If I set them to -1 and 1, as I’ve seen in a tut, I get a mangled mess.

Lastly, the simple deform modifier>bend. That I just can’t make head or tail of. I know it bends around the local Z axis, but how do I get the object set up that way? I rotate it every which way and apply, but no luck.

Bend tool bends around a line parallel to your view and going through 3D cursor. The tool is not precise, so if you need more control, Warp is a better fit (it too bends around the 3D cursor).

As for Simple Deform Bend, either rotate in object mode until the appropriate side points up and apply rotation, or rotate in edit mode. Or use an Empty as the Origin object for the modifier and rotate that instead.

Thanks for the response - I’ve managed to get the warp and bend modifier working after a fashion, but the bend is not a true 360 degrees - the two ends don’t meet and there is some offset. The thing is, the offset isn’t always the same, although the settings are - sometimes it is really close, other times far off. I’m attaching a couple of .blend files; should someone care to take a look and see what the problem is, I’d be most grateful :slight_smile:

As for the bend tool, I’ve done pretty much exactly as shown in the tut on the intersect tool at 1.24, as well as the instructions in the Blender WIKI, but mine behaves like a berserk snake.

On a related matter - if and when I manage to get the bend a full 360 degrees and the two ends correctly aligned, is there any method of merging the verts in one move? All I’ve managed to find so far is to merge the verts in sets of two at a time.

Attachments

transform.blend (490 KB)bend.blend (538 KB)

The mistakes you’ve made are using perspective view and not having the object initially aligned. When looking at the object from the top, switch to orthographic view: this will help you see if it’s positioned properly. In the bend.blend you’ve posted, the cylinder was actually slightly rotated around the Z and Y axes.

Here’s the fixed file: http://pasteall.org/blend/35246

As for merging the vertices, there’s the “Remove Doubles” tool (Mesh -> Vertices -> Remove Doubles). Select (a part of) your mesh (if selecting parts, might be a good idea to use wireframe view or disable “Limit Selection to Visible”) and apply that tool. Check its’ options (F6) to control the merge threshold.

Here is a tut I did on the simple deform bend using an empty to orient the bend.

Thanks so much for the help, guys - got it working just great:)

One more question, if I may :slight_smile:

Made this Moebius by extruding a cube, making a lot of cuts, deleted the end faces to prevent having non-manifold, then twisted and bent. Removed doubles (no vertices removed).

You can see in the render that there is a hard discontinuance edge showing - as if the end edges had not joined.

What have I done wrong this time!

Attachments

moebius.blend (516 KB)

That’s because the edges aren’t joined…:wink:

Tab into Edit mode, A to select all and then do a W > Remove Doubles again: 8 vertices will be removed.

“Remove Doubles” will only work on selected geometry. So, unless you select both edge loops in that area, Blender can’t find any doubles.

Thank you - one more tiny step up the learning curve :slight_smile: In wireframe it looked like there was only one edge at the join, but I guess two were occupying the same space.

On a related note - is there a method of “fusing” together two edge loops, having the same number of verts, separated by a small space? The only method I’ve found is to bridge, cut in an edge in the centre of the new faces then dissolve the two original edges.

Surely there must be a more efficient method? In Hexagon, for instance, there is the “average weld” tool, which merges sets of two verts within a specified distance from each other.

Always check your tools for options after you apply them (F6). The Bridge Edge Loops tool has a handy “Merge” checkbox that will do exactly what you need :wink:

Great, thank you :slight_smile:

Another of Blender’s well-hidden jewels. I’m really getting to like them!