Could really use an "Idiot's Guide to Using Multiple Textures" right now..

Let’s say I’m going to be using multiple textures on a model, and I need some of them to only show on certain faces. When I tried this at first by selecting the faces and loading the desired UV in the Texture tab, it just covered the entire model. Eventually I managed to accomplish something by turning off all faces on the UV/Image Editor, re-unwrapping, then moving the faces around over the texture in the UV/Image Editor. There’s gotta be a better way to do this, though.

…Please tell me there’s a better way to do this.

Lots of ways. You could use a B&W mask texture to mix between the two. You could go into edit mode and apply different materials on certain faces, each with its own textures. You could use different UV sets for each picture and turn of texture repeat. If you only need to constrain the textures to certain faces it would probably be easiest to just use different assigned materials for each area.

To me, the Edit Mode method m9105826 mentioned is easiest. Go to your Materials tab and set up all the textures you’ll be using there (the + button allows you to add textures to your material, and they’ll be displayed in a list at the top).

Then go into Edit Mode, select the faces you want to use Texture 1, select that texture in the Materials tab, and click the Assign button. Repeat this for any other textures and areas you need, and that should be it!

I tried it, but I must have missed a step or something:

1. Selected desired faces
  2. Made new material
  3. Clicking the + to the side of the materials list created a new texture, but when I hit New, it turned into a material instead. Therefore, I tried to load the texture by clicking the texture icon in the horizontal menu thingy. The texture covered the entire model at this point.
  4. Hit Assign, nothing seemed to happen.

I can provide screenshots of where I was clicking if it would help.

Multiple materials
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Materials/Multiple_Materials

The first material is applied to the whole object
If you have more than one material you can apply any of those materials to selected faces

That worked, thank you! The textures themselves are still acting up, but hopefully I’ll be able to fix it myself with a bit more tinkering.