Create a new polygon

Hello,

i am retopologizing a mesh.
Though at some parts of the mesh there too few polys so that texture distorts too much. (i used decimate tool)
SO iwant to give the model a bit more flesh at some parts.
So the model consists of triangles and i want to divide a particular triangle into two.
How do i do that?

Show what you’re trying to achieve with a screenshot or something?

You can use the knife tool to cut a triangle into two triangles, but you’ll also have to cut the adjascent triangle in two as well, if you want to keep everything a triangle.

PS: Decimate is probably the worst way to retopologize.

Why is decimate the worst tool?
If there is a better way then please let meknow. :slight_smile:

Well, you don’t give too many hints about your project, but from what you have said, I’ll assume you’re working on a character imported from somewhere, it’s already triangulated, and has way to many faces for the application you want to use it in.

The problem with decimate is that it doesn’t give you much control over the process and it doesn’t respect topology much, so you end up with a mesh that needs a lot of work to texture or pose.

The better way is to use the snap tool to lay a properly topologized mesh on top of your too-high-poly object. Blender Cookie has some pretty good tutorials about the retopo process, and there are some add-on tools that make it even easier.

sorry, was eating sth.

first pic has 4,500 triangles. At the beginning(photogrammetric scan) it had 400,000 triangles.
thirs pic shows a second decimate apply. to450 polys. As one can see texture here and there distorts too much.

Attachments

Not quite what I expected.

Is there a texture and UV unwrap associated with the first mesh? Perhaps all you need to do is discover where the original seam is (to preserve it), unwrap the decimated mesh and re-texture it from the image.

Is it a tree trunk? It’s enormous, whatever it is.