Bob's Lair Episode 1

The pilot to my fantasy/comedy Bob’s Lair Episode 1 is now online on youtube, I’m hoping to make more episodes and improve the quality with each one. This is my first real animation project, and its finally complete. Please let me know what you think.

It was interesting. The movements on most of the characters were stiff. Was this show inspired by anything?

Yeah I had a hard time getting some of the timing down and the rigs need a lot of work to allow for more expression and movement. The show wasnt really inspired by any one thing, but I guess I kind of like to think of it as crossing Disney with south park.

I see that. I think that there are some tutorials on timing, but it’s on a different program. The principles are still the same.

Congrats! Its obvious that you put a lot of effort. I am not an expert at all, but I think that you need to improve the timing. And I dont mean the animation only. Making people laugh is the hardest thing, for example the joke with the bunny and the copyright infringement is good, but because the timing is skewed all the rest are not as good.
I must say that the voice acting is not extremely bad, except for the girl, she is good.
Also the Morgan freeman parody made me laugh I must say.
I am not a prude (at all) but I think you abuse the F… word, its like raisins some are ok but put a lot and it makes anything taste like shit.

Cheers!
Eliut

Thank You! I agree that the timing of everything kind of off, I think the main reason for it is that I didn’t really give the characters proper reactions to the things that happened, it just kind of keeps moving along, Its something I think I can do much better on in the next one. As far as the language goes, I’m already planning on toning it down, some of the lines were improvised and seemed funny when we were recording but when I watch it over it makes me cringe at times.

Wait, I think you misunderstood me. I dont mean you to tone it down, we do have artistic freedom. And I praise you for it. What I mean is that adult language and situations are like seasoning to a story (i.e. Game of Thrones) just don’t over do it. Animation is a form of art, and its hard. I know Im never happy with the few things Iv done but I will keep trying. I think you should try to make a “directors cut” of the first episode before committing to a new one. Cut all the stuff you think non essential. BTW on the trailer I could not understand the characters dialogue but on the actual episode I did.

Salute
Eliut

No misunderstanding, I know what you mean about things needing to be in their proper place and time, have actual significance and overdoing things like violence and language can very easily cross a line where it starts to detract instead of enhance. When I said “tone it down” i didn’t mean it in the sense that I was going to remove adult content from the show, but that I would use it more sparingly in fitting places and only in situations that actually benefit from having them. I appreciate your feedback. I don’t thinking making a “directors cut” of this episode is going to fix it’s problems unless I spend some serious time re-animating and re-writing a large chunk of it and I’d rather spend that effort on making the next one. Maybe at some point in time I may re-consider fixing this episode up, but I’d like to see where I can take it first.