Stylized female character - Pirate (Update #17)

Heyall, :eyebrowlift:

well I got bitten by the inspiration bug again, so here goes:
[Image removed by me]

Current Progress:

I’m using blender to model my base meshes and any extra stuff like buckles/straps etc. and Zbrush for sculpting/detailing.

let me know what you think.

EDIT: the hair sculpt is just a placeholder. I’ll be using a “real” particle system for the final renders. :slight_smile:

cheers,
-G:cool:

If that were my model, I’d be patting myself on the back about how realistic a mesh I finally did. I guess that’s the difference between us old Blender coots and you guys with your ZBrushes. She looks good, Guss. I guess since the hair is a placeholder, we can look forward to shaders and a rig, too? Wouldn’t she braid her hair, like the rest of the pirates, though?

Looking forward to seeing her all posed and painted… :smiley:

@Orinoco,
hey, braids sound like a very cool idea!!! definitely gonna try that.

yes I plan to rig/shade/render her in full. :slight_smile: I have a couple of concerns about her proportions looking weird (especially the hips?), but hopefully with an effective pose that will be fixed.

stay tuned :smiley:

i think the proportions are fine. The cloth is pretty jaw dropping, nice work!

Great job! She looks amazing! I agree with @Orinoco, braided hair would be cool. For more of a stylized look, I feel her proportions are good. If you are going for more of a realistic look, then IMHO, her hips are slightly to wide and her upper body is to short compared to her legs. Can’t wait to see her textured and shaded! Keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

Thanks guys :smiley:

I’ve been working on her weapons: a pair of ornate Spanish flintlock pistols… so far only the base meshes are done, I still have to do the detailing and patterns. (all done in blender, don’t let the dark blue “maya” wireframe fool you :stuck_out_tongue: ) C&C welcome!

Hi Guss,

a good start and a nice model!

I have some points, though. Your thread title says “stylized”. And maybe the long legs of the character are part of the stylization. But compared to the upper body they are extremely long. The slightly lowered camera supports that impression, therefore I’m not sure how much of the effect is coming from that.

Looking at the folds of the blouse I think they should show more gravity. The folds are very soft and large, therefore the fabric of the blouse must be made of a soft fabric. And that would fall smoother and with more signs of gravity.

I dig her face. Good job on that. And the pistol is coming along nicely also.

@Minoribus:
thanks man! I think you’re right about her legs being too long. I made them somewhat shorter, although I still need to work some on the blouse. :slight_smile:
I worked on the pistol… added details and patterns etc.

I also added some details on her belt and I changed her hairstyle to a more “Jack Sparrow” hairstyle (no dreadlocks of course) but I played around with a basic braids sculpt… let me know what you think!

Pose experiments:

C&C welcome as always :smiley:

She looks awesome. However I do think the upper body could still be just fractionally larger. It still looks a bit like a second girl has been grafted onto the first one’s bottom half. I tend to agree with those who though she looked a bit odd to start with (but didn’t really want to say so).

Are the flintlocks going to be all metal, or have wooden stocks? Former is ok for style, but latter would be more accurate (if anyone cares).

Also, flintlocks are slow to reload and only have one shot. She’ll need a good sword and some daggers for backup.

@Gumboots:
Hey thanks for your input man :smiley: The flintlocks are definetly going to be with wooden stocks like real flintlocks, and yes she will have a sword/dagger/whatever :slight_smile:

I’m also still knocking about with her proportions, so hopefully it will all come together… literally :wink:

cheers, and stay tuned

-G

Cool. Go for sword and a dagger. It was pretty normal to fight with both when using a one-handed sword. That way if you knocked your opponent’s sword out of the way and yours went off to the side as well, you could swing the dagger in with your left hand and get them under the ribs or whatever. A pirate wench would know this, and she does look very capable. :wink:

sure! we should actually come up with a cool back-story for her :stuck_out_tongue: plus additional characters… wait! let’s make a movie XD Great input, thanks mate! I think I’ll go for the sword/dagger combo. it just feels right. :wink:

btw, does anyone have C&C on her hair…? obviously that’s just a rough placeholder, but I should like to get it to “work” before jumping into particle systems etc. feedback on that would be great. :smiley:

Awesome character design.
Really strong sculpting level here. I love the cloth sculpt.

The gun model has a brillient topology.

Good luck with this character, it’s on the good way to be a masterpiece.

BTW, how did you project the fine details model on the gun? I see they are separated piece of mesh.
Was it made by hand? or did you culpted them and then make separated retopo over the main pieces of geometry?
Impressive.

@ pieriko:
thanks! the patterns on the gun were modeled from a reference pattern found on Google, then I used the shrink-wrap modifier to wrap it around the gun, and the solidify modifier to give it some thickness to make it stand out from the surface :slight_smile:

Some more closeups:

still need to make the sword and dagger, plus some trinkets and odds and ends… then its time for UVs and texturing :slight_smile:

Modelling the sword… all blender:

Very stylish. Looks like something she would have captured from an Italian aristocrat. The blade cross section still needs a bit of work, but you probably know that.

@Gumboots:

Yeah still working on the cross-section… :slight_smile: more updates soon!

Update:
I made a harness for the sword, and added more detailing. C&C Welcome!

(Continued in post #20)

Post #19 continued:

enjoy!