Little World - low poly

Wassup people!

Here some thing Im up to.

If anyone could help me to make the colors form the contintents better, Im glad. I tryed diferent setups in nodes using color ramp, mapping and geometry (im not a pro with cycles, nodes, texture… just an apprentice):

My references is from Timothy J. Reynolds. Id like to reach some Ambient Occlusion like that and the faces to display diferents colors also as the example.

Thanks in advance!!!
Peaceout! :ba:

Your planet already looks pretty nice. Are you going for more realistic colors or toonsih colours? I haven’t really looked into doing direction based colours but you could probably cheat to get that effect somewhat.

Great job! I really like it. :slight_smile:

Nice squirrelbot! Thanks! Its not a realistic looking Im for. Its sort of the reference image I’ve posted. Id like the ambient occlusion of my continents get the appereance of the refenrence image. I mean the shadows where the polygons fit together. Ive made a cut what part Im saying about:

Thanks again for the reply!

Nice, man! Thanks a lot! :smiley:

I am pretty bad with cycles materials as well. I used the following material settings to quickly try and obtain the ambient occlusion effect your looking for. My guess is using the AC node is a good place to start. You could probably tweak it with geometry or something.

Sorry I didn’t have much time to try and figure it out. Still I think it’s a starting point.

Here is the result I got just using a mix shader. (my scene may also be a bit bright haha)

And here is the material panel

Also. Sorry for such slow replies. My posts still have to be moderated :smiley:

Nice, suirrelbot! Thats a real good start point. Thanks again! Gonna try something with this and post it here. C ya peace!

Glad if I could be of some help. Let me know what you figure out. I might investigate it some more myself.

Could u show me how u set up the lights of the scene? I made a sky texture for mine. Looks like u put the just one source of light (sun ?) from right to left. Maybe my scene didnt get the effect like yours cause my object is spherical and the source of light comes from everywhere. Im also using the AO in the world setup. Are u using too?

Yeah I had AO in world as well. Actually I had 2 light sources 2 suns. Left and right slightly different colours. Also it might be because your geometry is pretty flat except for the edges of the land. It only really showed up on mine when the geometry was rougher.