Yoda - Testing Pointiness

Since pointiness makes it a lot easier to create detailed surfaces without having to UV-map and draw like hell, i thought i use a model of Yoda i made some time ago and work on it again to finally finish it.
The textures are all procedurally generated. No image is mapped to anything. The eyes will get a texture later on though.

Created entirely in Blender (2.74 RC2), rendered in Cycles.

Next will be the hair… then comes the background.

edit:
Current progress:

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

:smiley: Very nice.

nice but a little dark!

got latest build
can you show the nodes set up to get it working!
also does this use UV ?

thanks
happy bl

Great Work :slight_smile:

More light and SS. :wink:

Thx for the replies.It´s always the same. Working on something for a while makes you blind. It all looks different when you slept on it for one night…Here´s a quick update (quick means noisy).

I changed the whole physiognomy especially the nose, the mouth and the chin to give him an older appearance.

The shader is changed to use more SSS (something that´s almost absent in the original Yoda puppet from the old movies) and the skin tone was change to look more like the puppet too.I will post shaders later, working on the hair now.

@RickyBlender
No UV Map yet

Attachments

First test with hair:

Need to work on the color i guess. But first i will create some background so that he does not have to sit in front of a grey plane.

changed his hairstyle a little and gave him a background that fits a better, yet isn´t finished.

Still not satisfied with the shaders. I tested SSS with a backlight to see the translucency and it looked quite ok.

And i think his left eye should be a little bigger.

Here is what i got so far.

Still a bit noisy after 1h on an nvidia GTX970. (100 Samples/pixel)

I again changed the shader for the skin. Since i looked a bit dull before having the same color for skin and blood (sss) i changed the blood color to a more yellowish tone now.

BTW pointiness is now also used for the wood-pieces. i just sculpted a little and put a pointiness-mixture of black and brown to simulate wood.

Any further suggestions?
i thought of adding an animal in the foreground on the tree like a frog or something to get a bit of a story into that picture.

Now the version witha a bit more of a story to it:

This is fantastic. I wish I could see his eyes a bit more, they look a little dark. Awesome work!

i finally found out what went wrong with the eyes.
i used a two object approach with an outer glass and the inner eyeball. But: when taking a clear glass as the shader for the glass part, it blocked out lighting on the inner eyeball.
i got rid of that by a fake-approach, combining Transparent and Glossy. Now it´s much better, yet misses Refraction. But i think i can live with that.

Another thing i changed is the HDR-Map for the environment using Topanga Forest from sIBL now.

Still working on this little green one.
Now rendered with 1000 Samples/pixel.

Changed the lighting and environment a little in order to make it a bit more interesting (SSS visible on the ear etc.). Especially i tried to add a slight portion of correct fog/mist on the ground in the background.
Now i`ve got to rework his jacket, which looked ok as long as it was out of focus but looks weird now.

mud-hole? slimy? my home this is!

Working on the skin shader to get it to look less like plastic. Tweaked the cloth a little as well.

and tweaked the frog.