Blender to Unity, get left rigged hand from right rigged hand

Hi,

I want to get a pair of hands in Unity. For this I get a free model of a right hand in the .blend format, then I rigged it and import it in Unity from the new .blend file. This works nicely enough.

Now I would like to get the left hand from this and I don’t know what to try now.
Right now, to get a left hand, I selected all the vertices in the Edit view and do a -1 scale according to the Y axe, as I knew that doing this in the Object view would result in the same in Unity : a -1 scale in the Y axe, and that’s not what I want.
After that, I did the same for the armature. In Blender and in Unity, this works.

Here is a screenshot of my results.

The problem is that Unity always consider that I just did some scaling; but in the final use of the hands, I modify the value of the position, rotation and scale, so that I lose the -1 and I end up with two right hands…

My question is : how to get a real left hand (scale = 1 1 1, no rotation trick) in Unity from the right hand ?

Regards,
Discaulit

In Blender there is the Object mode and the Edit mode… if you do your modification in Object mode you can use Ctrl+A > Apply Rotation and Scale…
to get you 1,1,1 scale…
if you do the modification to your Mesh in Edit mode then you do not change the 1,1,1 scale or rotation in the first place…

you also can use the Mirror modifier and using the “apply” option will get you what you want…
Select your Mesh > goto Properties Panel > Modifiers (the little Wrench Icon) > Add modifier > select from the list “mirror” and pick the axis to mirror across…

In doing mirroring you must pay close attention to where the center point of the object is…

however… there is no “mirror modifier” for bones…

so the next best thing is this 3rd method…

X Mirror…
In the 3D view > select your object > Tab into edit mode > select your Mesh (or bones) > Open up your Left hand Tool bar (by using the ‘T’ key) find the ‘options’ tab > Check the box that says ‘X Mirror’ > now everything you do on one side of the X side of your model or armature will be ‘mirrored’ on the other side…

most Blender guys use the X axis as the axis that determines the ‘left and right’ sides of their models for this very reason…

note this 'X Mirror" option also can be used for other things like weight painting and texture painting…

hope this helps…

Hi Norvman,

Thank you for your answer, I will try the 3rd method as I already tried the first 2 ones.

I am aware of the Object / Edit mode and that’s why I tried to do modification in the Edit mode (in fact it was a friend of mine who gave me this tips to avoid modifying scales). I also searched for help before asking in the forum and tried the mirror effect without the result I expected.

Just to be sure because I am not sure to understand : for the X Mirror, I have to start from the right hand, duplicate it and the tick the X Mirror before doing anything to get a left hand ? Or do I understand very badly ?

I’ll let you know the result in every case.

I have tried what you said Norvman but I probably not understand very well… Should my two hands be part of the same object for what you said ? At the end I would have the two hand in separated files, but I know I should be able to split the two hands if necessary.

Could you be more precise in your explanation of what I have to do with the X Mirror method please ?

Yes to use X-mirror… the two hands need to be one object…
and the Hand bones need be containted in one Armature…

If you want you have the hands each in separate files…
then forget the use of the X-mirror…
with separate hands…
each hand as a separate object…
will then need each a separate Armature for each hand also…
you will just have to work each hand separate …
X-mirror is there to only cut your work in half…
by you build the right side and x-mirror the left side…
but to use it your Mesh must be one Mesh…
and all your bones must be in one Armature to make it work…

Okay, thanks a lot Norvman for your information.

That’s what I was afraid of : there is no easy way to do what I want to… Maybe I am doing it wrong.

Nevermind, in the meantime I asked a colleague if she had a pair of hands for me and it’s okay now. I was still curious about a solution if I had not another pair of hand, but as it seems to be much more complicated, I think I will continue with this new hand.

Don’t know if I have to turn on the SOLVED flag on this topic as it seems it CANNOT be solved - this way I mean. Right now I will tag it as SOLVED anyway.

Thanks again,

Discaulit.

Wow…

okay…

3D is a complex subject…
add on to that the animation aspect of it and the complexity mulitplies…

but that’s okay … it will come in time… if you need to concentrate on other aspects for doing 3D that’s no Biggie…
just stay inspired and keep working on what your having success with …
you can pick up Rigging later…
Best of Luck to you…