Unable to replace the mesh without messing up the hair

I edited this whole post cause it was SOLVED anyway… and i didnt want to spam the forums.

So i have a character with a hair particle system, and it looks great now, and i dont want to mess it up. however, i cant add or remove any geometry form the whole body now! i can move verteses, but not add or delete any.
also the hands was terrible, so i remade them, but now i cant find a way to replace the old hands, cause if i try to remove the old hands, or join the new hand to the body, the hair gets messed up.

is there a way to replace a part of a mesh without messing up the hair?

(Thought i would leave the settings here from the last post, in case it could be usefull)

Edit: i edited the thread rather than making a new one. this reply is irrelevant.

Edit: i edited the thread rather than making a new one. this reply is irrelevant.

Bump. no replies, and i still need help.

im really sorry, if i dont get help this time then ill leave it. but i still need to know how to fix this :confused: if at all posible.

last bump

I’m not an expert in this, but something similar happens to me all the time as well. The only thing I’ve been able to do is make sure the mesh (in this case, the person) is finalized before starting on the hair. I usually save the hair for last, because I don’t want it changing any time I change something else.

Not a very satisfying answer, I know. Hopefully someone else knows a way around this.

The way I did this was just to have a ico sphere which was just a bit smaller that the characters head, and placed inside the head and just grew the hair particle system off that

The hair growth is tied to vertex ordering in the mesh (at least once you have started editing the hair in particle edit mode, if you haven’t then it shouldn’t be as much of an issue). Adding / removing verts from the mesh will change this ordering (similar to how shapekeys are normally broken by adding / removing verts).

Most people usually make a scalp object to grow the hair from. As @fordgud4dall suggested, this could be done using an icoshpere, however the way I normally do it is to duplicate the faces on the head I wish grow hair from and separate them into a new object.