Apply cloth to shape key doesn't work

Greetings,

im new to Blender and im trying to do an animation with a cloth like material.

I want to make a shape key of my object while deformed by the cloth modifier with collision. My plan was to make the animation with my 2 shape keys, basic form and collapsed form.

But after i apply the deformed cloth (at a defined frame) as a shape key, the shape key doesnt work, it simply has no effect on the object, it looks like the basic form.

Is there something worng with my method or am i doing something wrong with the shape key?

I hope somebody can understand my question :rolleyes:

EB

When you apply the cloth simulation as a shape key, blender creates a basis key and the ‘Cloth’ shape key, but sets the value (strength) to 0. In the object data (the triangle) under shape keys, select the second shape key (‘Cloth’) and change the value to 1.

Changing the value has no effect on the object, it still has the basic shape. I dont know what im doing wrong :confused:

This 43 second screencast shows what I’m talking about.

Direct youtube link

Thanks!!!

The problem was, that i didn’t use the bake function. I simply started the animation, stopped at a frame and tried to appply the shapekey.

Thanks alot for your help!

Well i have another Problem now, my cloth shapkey doesn’t look like object after i applied die cloth modifier. With the cloth simulation my object just collapses and gets inflated. The transistion between the basic and cloth shapekey looks more like my object is fluid :confused:

I want to inflate/deflate my object and then use an armature on this object.

I don’t know if this is the right way to do it…

Here is my .blend file, i want this object to deflate like an airbed.

Attachments

4.blend (485 KB)

Took a quick peak at it, I’m not exactly sure what effect you’re after. I like that you are attempting it on your own and posting a blend, but step back for just a sec and explain clearly, step by step, the effect you want.

Hey, i’m really appreciating your help!

So basically i want to animate an emergency slide of a plane. My plan was to do it with an armature to unfold the slide and with a cloth (rubber) simulation to inflate it.

My planned workflow was this:

1. Model the inflated slide
  2. Add cloth physics to deflate it.
  3. Add an armature to unfold it properly (tried it, works)
  4. Animate the armature while the model is inflating, to get the effect of an emergency slide.

I hope its clear now what im trying to achieve, i need to use my cloth physics backwards with an armature on it.
I just dont know if my thoughts on doing this were right, or if im totally on the wrong way to do it.