Saving "PRESETS" for future use?

Hey All,

I’m still learning Blender and I do many practices in order to learn how to use it and get used to it.
While messing around with the amazing stabilized on Blender’s tracker, just before rendering I need to set up a basic node structure on the compositing. you probably familiar with it already:
Movie Clip > Stabilize 2D > Composite (+ viewer)

So far it’s always the same “structure” of nodes and for now it’s very basic but I’m wondering…
is there a way to SAVE these nodes and LOAD in future projects so I can just select like a PRESET ?

I may use it on more complicated node sets on the future, so creating my own presets could be very useful and time saver.
Is there a way to do it maybe with a specific Addon or the default blender options, can you please explain?

• Sorry about my bad English.

Thanks ahead!

Look around online for Node Groups. The idea is you save node setups in groups, then save all those groups in a specific .blend file somewhere, then whenever you need them, you just append them in. It’s very useful!

Thank you hype!
Looks interesting, I will check this out. :slight_smile:

Hi Alon.

I found an old addon by Fabio Russofor color grading herethat might interest you … if you could only save the reference values for a single node instead of the entire node would be a nice savings !!! :yes:

regards Bob

Sorry for my bad English … is the fault of Google Translator !!! :smiley:

Hey Bob Marley (Love your songs) :wink:

Thanks for sharing, I will check this out!
I hope that in the future Blender builds the option to just save and load our own presets will be built-in.

I wrote an addon that reads node groups from files. It could be usefull for you.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Blend_Library

Hey @VincentG!
Thank you for making this amazing addon! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to setup a node group just to see if it works but I’m not sure what I did wrong, can you please help?

1 - I installed the addon
2 - I’ve created a folder for “Compositing Node Groups”
3 - Created a simple compositing with a few nodes
4 - Saved the .blend file with the nodes on the “Compositing Node Groups”
5 - I tried the: Scan / Update button but I still get 0 items on the list.
I also tried to put it on the custom paths and I still get 0 items.

Can you please tell me what I do wrong and how can I fix it?
Thanks ahead!

Is there any errors or warning in the console?
Can you send me the file with your group? It should work with what you’re doing.

What Blender version are you using?

oh… well, I don’t see any errors.
I’m using the official 2.73 until 2.74 stable release will be out.

Here is the file: 2D_Stabelize—001a.blend (509 KB)

Ok, I get it. You didn’t make it as a group.

Look at the link above about node groups. It’s a very great way in Blender to reuse node setups. If you can’t use node groups for any reason, you can append the whole scene instead (shift+F1 ----> scene), then everything that you have in the compositor will be imported in a new scene.

Since I’m still a noob in Blender and it’s the very first time I use groups, I probably did something wrong… again.

Now I can see the group when I click the Scan/Update and IMPORT I get an error:

It’s probably because of the filepath that should be absolute and not relative. Is it correct? I will change it by default in next update! (EDIT: done)

OK! problem solved.
I found why it didn’t work for me… a stupid noobish mistake! (sorry for the mess…)

So the only problem was that I rushed to click the IMPORT button before I checked the: “Use Nodes”.
Once I checked it, everything WORKS LIKE MAGIC! :smiley:

Thank you @VincentG for making such amazing tool, I highly recommend everybody else to use it.
it’s a time saver for sure!

Thanks, I’m very happy you find it useful :slight_smile: