How I Should Fight Against These Ugly Makehuman Character Deformations?

Example:

I’m not familiar with the make human rig, but two guesses would be, better weight painting and adding corrective shapekeys and drivers to fix the bad deformations.

If you could add a blend file, I could take a look at what’s going on. pasteall.org is a good upload site and have a tab for blender files.

B-Bones would probably help a lot there.

I have been trying to find info about the shape keys, but I haven’t found a good tuto yet. B-bones, I looked them, but I don’t know how those could help. I have loaded animation from bvh archives and I’m now trying to alter them. When back to my anim. PC I will look if I can send more info or .blend or part of it. The example image is perhaps not the best, but I have been trying to rotate, bend limbs looking how my own arms are working, but.

Strip down your file. I don’t need backgrounds, materials, hair, cloth, etc. Just the main mesh and rig and maybe a sample animation.

Pretty much your looking at needing to enable B-Bones and do some weight painting or weight assignment…

google is your friend…

can’t find any blender weight painting tutorials? hummmm ?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Vertex_Groups/Weight_Paint

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Mesh/vg

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBS1qy4jzTg

Hmm. I know basic weigt painting but I don’t know how these should be corrected:

The weights and the rig are from Makehuman. Do I have to make B-bones from the scratch? Bvh animations don’t work with the b-bones I suppose? I wanted to use them as a base and make more detail to the movement by hand. Here some .blend: sea-beach-palm-girl-3-2015-v3-stripped-Down.blend (5.97 MB)

One option would be to redo the weights from within Blender. Take the rig, unparent the mesh, and then re-parent with automatic weights.

It looks like re-parenting & re-weights helps a little bit, but when I then load makewalk bvh the character’s hair and clothes go grazy. I did: ObjectMode: object - parent - clear parent. And then same parts still selected object -parent - with automatic weights. looks good, but now after load makewalk bvh the clothes and the hair go grazy.

I’m a bit confused. There are no bones present in the layers. Is this the full rig that was imported? Where are the fingers? It looks incomplete. Is this all that the make human rig has to offer? A straight FK only rig?

Hmm. I know basic weigt painting but I don’t know how these should be corrected:

This really is a pretty Basic fix…

Do I have to make B-bones from the scratch?

No…

Select your Rigg > Tab into Pose mode > select your Fore Arm > on your Properties Panel > goto “Object Data”(the little man Icon) > find “Display” and select the box that says “B-Bone”

Now in the file you provided for us… you will now see your bones as some rather big boxes…
to fix this Tab into Edit mode > then hit A to select all your bones > then Bottom ToolBar > Armature > Transform > Scale B-Bone > move your mouse around to scale the boxes down to a more reasonable size…

now Tab back into Pose mode > Select your forearm bone > goto the Properties Panel > Bone(the bone icon) > find the Deform Panel > under where it says “Curved Bones” you will see a number 1 > select that and change it to something like 5 or 6…

your forarm should now have 6 segments in it… and should be able to twist around just fine for deformation of the Mesh… (if your weighting has been properly done)
you also will want to set the ‘EaseIn’ and "EaseOut’ to 0.0… this will prevent the bones Strait… (so they don’t bend like rubber… but still twist…

Also I noticed in the file you uploaded that none of your bones are ‘connected’ at the joins…
you will need to make sure this is so at the wrist joint in order for your B-Bone twist to work properly…

Select the hand bone > Tab into Edit mode > goto the Properties Panel > Bone (bone icon) > Relations > Parent > check the box that says connected…

now your forearm B-Bone should twist when the hand twist…

Thank you very much norvman! It was very comprehensive explication how to make those b-bones. It helped with the wrist. I still have some problems with the elbow. Is there any fast way / weight tools to make weights better. Before I start use weight tools / levels or something any advice? Or Do I have to make all by hand? Or just read more tutos…?

on the left I moved “level something”.

DanPro hi! I use Makehuman Nightly build and it comes with seven different rigs. I used CMU optimised rig because of trying bvh archives… default has 163 bones and do not work directly with CMU Bvh what I have. CMU mb does not have all fingers. I will try some others too later.

Well there is weight painting and there is weight assigning…

Weight Painting is the more popular method…

but some times for small fixes … like your elbow…

weight assigning is probably a quicker fix…

Here is a good tutorial on weight assigning…

skip over to about 9:30 in the video to get to that part…
or just watch the whole thing to get the full idea…

this is a Nathan Vegdahl video… he’s not only one of Blenders best Animators and Riggers… he also IMHO is the best Tutor…