How to link materials with their node groups

Earlier today I linked to a material I was using. My scene is using Blender Cycles. I noticed later that the node structure assigned to the materials was not brought over, which makes sense I suppose but I hadn’t accounted for it.

I haven’t spent much time on compositing and nodes yet. I know there is a way of linking node groups, but when I tried to figure it out, the documentation I read indicated you could do it by making a group of nodes, or a composite of nodes, and then using it. I don’t know how those things work yet.

Is there any way of handling things so you just bring the node structure over automatically?

You mention materials and compositing. Which one are you talking about ?

Explain precisely what you are talking about. What you want to achieve and what is stopping you. Show us something, annotated screenshots and example blend file etc.

Earlier today I linked to a material I was using. My scene is using Blender Cycles. I noticed later that the node structure assigned to the materials was not brought over, which makes sense I suppose but I hadn’t accounted for it
This means what ? If you add an existing material to an object then all those cycles material node groups are still part of that material !