Clone Painting in UV Mode

Can someone help me with a painfully basic question? I am trying to follow a tutorial on UV texture mapping. I have unwrapped my model, and have it in the UV editor. But, I cannot figure out how to use the brush and clone tools. I can’t even find them! I have spent an entire day, just trying to get anything to work. I am using Blender 2.68

What I need is a step-by-step, on how to FIND the tools and how to use them. Every tutorial I have found on the web, just glosses-over these steps. I apparently need excruciating, bonehead details If I sound extremely frustrated, I am.

Thanx.
Dustin

Hello
can you show us one tutorial example?
And, why don’t you use the latest Blender version ( 2.73a)?
Its free, you know. :wink:
Bye

Thanks for getting back to me. Please forgive me, if my first post was a little rough—i was at my frustration limit.

You asked about showing an example. Did you mean a screen shot? The tutorial that I was using, was from “The Essential Blender”, Chapter 10. The text is posted on-line, by Blender Wiki.

I got as far as UV unwrapping the mesh, loading a source image (I think) and finding a button marked “clone”. But the brush doesn’t do anything. Also, there is supposed to be a slider, that varies opacity between the mesh and the background source image. I can find no slider, and there is no background image, from which to clone. What am I missing?

As for why I’m still using 2.68, I have been picking at learning Blender, in my sparse spare time, for a while. I have considered a newer version. But, Blender has a bad habit of moving controls and tools, with each new version. So, I decided to try to become proficient with the one I have, before taking-on a new battle.

actually i dont think there is any major changes made since 2.68, just new minor stuff added. maybe you will notice that they moved the “Add” button form the top of the window to the bottom, as i dont remember witch version they did that in.

other than that i can only think of 2 things that was changed, and that is when you press 1 / 3 / 7 on the numberpad, you go to front/side/top view, but you wont automatically go to ortographic view, but this can be changed in the user preferances.
the other thing is the shortcut for adding a Glossy material shader, witch was changed from G to B. again not a big deal.

as for your question, what is it that you are trying to do? i havent heard of any clone, or brushes used in the image/uv edditor, but if you let us know what your goal is then we can try to find a solution for you.

ps, frustration is normal when ur working with CG, so dont worry :stuck_out_tongue: the post was not rough.

Hi

I don’t know old blnder…I think You problem is You have to change the uv editor to texture paint .Here is what You have to do…
Copy from Wiki…

To enable texture painting in the UV Editor, either click the Pencil icon on the header or choose “Texture Painting” from the Image menu. Then, press the C-key to bring up the painting tools palette.

It change the uv editor to the texture paint mode…Press c and You should get a paintbox…And be ready to paint…You should save Your
Image before You start painting…Look in the menuline in the uv editor…There is a little star to the right of IMAGE *…It tell You haven’t save the Image You are painting on.

Btw…I really think You should try the new blender…Get the zip file…Make a dir and unpack it to it…No need to install just find the exe file and Blender pop up…)

So many new thing in Blender speciel for the painting…I think the new interface is a lot easier than the old one …:slight_smile:

From here You can download latest build…https://builder.blender.org/download/

Puff Puff

Tai

I have worked with CG before, using more basic programs like Bryce. My frustration just comes from sorting-out the Blender interface. In the tutorial, I am trying to apply a texture from an image. The instructions start by saying to load the image—which I think I did. But, no image shows up in the UV editor. The instructions then say to select a brush, and set the brush type to “clone”, so that i can apply the image texture to only certain faces. No luck at all, at this point.

Of course, it doesn’t help, that the tutorial appears to be written for a much earlier version of Blender (2.4x I believe). Unfortunately, I can’t post links, being new to this group. But, the tutorial can be found in Blender Wiki, under “The Essential Blender”, Chapter 10.

Dustin

You just need to switch from ‘View’ to ‘Paint’ in the UV Image Editor header, and press T to bring up the tool bar that has the painting tools there.

Painting has gotten much easier since those tutorials , and the latest version of 2.73a has much simpler processes for setting up painting on a mesh directly in viewport and feedback in the UV Image Editor.

Thanks everyone. I followed the instructions, and seemed to get something to work. I now see the texture image in the UV editor. It is behind the unwrapped mesh. And, the clone brush seems to do something. But, nothing shows in the render. Also, how can I move the image around, and resize it to fit the mesh? Where is the opacity slider, that is supposed to vary between the source image and the painted mesh. I am totally clueless?

Should I try something much simpler, like a skydome? If so, could some give me a step-by-step? I can create a hemisphere, invert the normals, and download a circular skydome image. But, how do I get the image onto the hemisphere?

Well, I this afternoon free. So, I downloaded Blender 2.73, and used the time to become familiar with a few of the changes. Does seem to work better. The UV editor is definitely better. I can now find some of the controls, that were previously hidden or missing

However, I still can’t figure out how to move or resize the clone source image, to cover where I need to clone. The source image is only about half the size UV editor window, and stuck in the lower left corner. Any suggestions?

Thanx
Dustin

Clone works from the size of the image - I woudl however suggest loading the desired image as a brush texture and setting the texture in the tool panel to ‘stencil’ and use your rmb to move, shift-rmb to scale, and ctrl’rmb to rotate the image around until you get it to match you desired paint area. You can paint through, and in Options tab you can choose to increase /lower the opacity of the image overlay.

Thanks Craig, for all your help. Upon researching your suggestions, I actually found an easier way to accomplish what I was trying. In the UV editor, under the UV menu, I simply selected “Export UV Layout”. I was then able to open the exported UV image in an image editor (like Gimp, Photoshop, or Paint) and clone, paint, or paste the textures that I wanted. EASY! I then simply mapped the finished image onto the unwrapped mesh.

There is just one other small question, and I can mark this “solved”. In the texture mapping section, the options for “flat”, “cylindrical”, “sphere”, etc, were still available, even though I had selected UV mapping. Is there any reason that I would use an option other than flat, when UV mapping?

Thanks again.
Dustin

P.S. Just how would I mark a thread as “solved”? I didn’t see that option in any of the forum menu choices.