Godzilla Walk Cycle

Hello all,

I’m new to both this forum and to Blender. I started learning Blender a few months ago and have been following many awesome tutorials on YouTube. I really love Blender, I’ve been wanting to learn 3d animation for a very long time and Blender and the Blender community is making that possible! :slight_smile:

So here is my first model and animation with Blender. I am a big Godzilla fan, so I wanted my first model to be of the king of the monsters. My version of Godzilla goes back to the classic Godzilla design, adding my own cartoonish style to it. Later as my skills progress, I will be animating him breathing fire and destroying buildings lol!

welcome to the forums :slight_smile:
I love the style you got goin here for the King of Monsters. The walk cycle looks like it’s coming along nicely. Oh and extra points for creating Godzilla and not zilla lol.

Good stuff, nice mean look to this one, can’t wait to see him do some crushing! I just did my own Godzilla test for my homepage, use Firefox or Chrome if you check it out, no audio in IE, WASD and arrow control. http://www.trepaning.com/

Haha fun… It doesnt look bad either if you play it at 2x speed on youtube.

this is great, my favourite monster. i love how you managed that he looks very heavy, the way he walks. great animation.

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your comments. It was a lot of fun working on the animation. Here is an update, I added a peaceful moment for Godzilla just before he took his afternoon walk lol. And I also added some sounds to make it a little more alive. I was easily able to find Godzilla’s roars online, but I needed a sound effect of Godzilla scratching. So my wife had this great idea of recording her scratching our sofa pillow and it turned on perfectly! Check out the animation below :slight_smile:

@artorious: Yes, I will never do modeling or animations of Zilla. There is only one GODzilla! LOL :slight_smile:

@trepaning: I enjoyed your animation! It was really funny how his tail was stuck to the sign LOL! I also liked it that your Godzilla was of the new design from the latest movie. Loved the new movie, it was awesome!

@doris: Thanks! He is also my favorite monster! Yeah I really wanted to give him a lot of weight, after all, he is almost 400 feet tall! LOL.

I think you got the slowness of the movement down for the Size godzilla would be, maybe bring your camera down and look up at the beast to give him more power. Also I notice something straing on the knees when he walks, its when the foot should be rolling onto the ball, the IK seems to pull the leg up. The arms arcs also look too straight, also the timing where the arms stop in the middle of the motion makes the cycle seem a little off, that being said It’s pretty impressive for your first animation in blender