Have you seen what has been done in the game engine ?

This is pretty slick looking to me,

I had not seen it before,

I think you need to re-read the definition of what counts as ‘news’.

A project being done by a forum member in the BGE (or in BI or Cycles for that matter), does not officially count as news no matter what quality it is. The exception is if it’s a big budget project by a sizable commercial entity or something the BF is doing.

Anyway, I’m not even going to start with the possibility of this becoming another “BGE vs. other engines” mess, once again courtesy of BPR, or maybe the intent is to continuously create such threads until everyone admits their ‘anti-BGE transgressions’ and agrees that the BF should start a major effort on its development.

Overall, by posting in forums such as “news & chat”, you need to be aware that you might be doing a disservice to the BGE here (as in hurting the cause for it more than helping).

No mess, I just had not even heard of this little demo,

it’s all polished and well made,

it’s inspiring.

here is the blend swap btw http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/78264

some nice tricks in there,

How do you reach the level of news? Does my mind need to explode like scanners when opening the file?

this is just slick and I thought I would share. I did not realize how old it was, (just saw it on adventure in blender’s G+)

This demo isn’t even engine’s showcase. It’s a showcase of well done assets. Same demo can be probably done even with Darkplaces engine (modified GLQuake) :smiley:

This looks so PS2.

BPR, I suggest you stick to the area of BGE. Here is the exclusive preserve of official Blender users. They never admit equal rights. :wink:

Looks nice. Doorways need to be way bigger though. Walking through those in real life would be very cramped and weird.

Also, the environment is basically baked lighting with 2D HDR and aberration filters, which is pretty standard for game engines and something the BGE could’ve done even before it had GLSL shader support, even Godot will be able to do this type of scene in version 1.1 with its new canvas shader capability (which can be used for 2D filtering).

How do you reach the level of news? Does my mind need to explode like scanners when opening the file?

If it’s made by a large commercial entity or studio that is using the BGE for a major project, then yes it would be okay, but this is likely made by a hobbyist interested in realtime environments.

Had I seen this particular demo? Nope. Thanks for sharing (though it does seem like something that belongs in the BGE: Works in Progress & Game Demos section of the forum

Is this demo better than most BGE tech demos? Actually, yes it is. The developer/artist too the time to use/create good textures, bake lighting, and add a few lighting/sound features. People that want to convince anyone the BGE is worth keeping around should take note. Quality convinces people. Programmer art does not. Sad, but true.

Are any of the features shown something you would not have seen in a game engine ten years ago? Sorry, but it is so reminiscent of the PS2 Silent Hill scenes it’s scary (& not the good Silent Hill scary). On a ten year old, memory & graphics limited PS2, Silent Hill 4 was showing people entire towns (i.e. not just a corridor) worth of baked lighting, fog effects, etc. Good for back then, kind of embarrassing as a tech demo on modern hardware today (or back in 2013 when he made it).

yeah, my new pc I think ran it at 60 fps with 1. something latency,

something slightly more detailed then this with a dynamic lighting manager
and LOD you would probably be looking pretty nice,

add in instanced geometry shaders using bgui, and draw grass… and leaves etc as a batched call…