New 3D printer technology that reduces the time of a print from hours to minutes

This isn’t the layer-based printing of a few years ago

What it does is that the object is created via pulses of light, the light hardens spots within a pool of liquid resin as the main printing arm starts to lift the object up and out.

The potential advantage of this is that is requires no chipping away of supporting material and leaves no stepped surfacing artifacts.

Now if we can have the technology to do the same thing for colored printing and printing with metal (heck, why not eventually do food as well). Sooner or later, you would ask yourself, why would you want to take your kid (providing you have one) to the toy store to buy an action figure when you can just make it for him and save money?

What we see is a future where everyday people can potentially make a wide array of objects they need instead of going to the store, a potential blow for everything that relies on brick and mortar business, but also makes it a lot easier for innovation.

So, is this next generation printing or is it a dud?

I hope that won’t mean a world littered with junk.What if somebody makes more than they need.That would take being a packrat to the next level.

In numerous cases, you might be able to recycle these 3D objects back down to the raw material that it was made of (ie. the stuff that you placed in the device itself to make it work).

How is this different to SLA based printers that are already available?

I think that the true revolution will be when you can feed in scrap metal and print tools.

Feed it scrap print little solar robots that collect metal/plastic scrap,

feed it that scrap print more robots…

you see where this is going…

eventually labor and materials will be almost free, then we can all collaborate on design.

I think robots like that can be used for terrorism.They can even be hacked by terrorists.Before you mass produce robots like that you need a plan to prevent that.

Any tool has potential to do good or evil, it’s the intent of the wielder you can not change.

even if you could install a system to prevent people from doing evil, they can remove it, or change it,

there is no real method on earth to prevent hacking, as the hackers will just adapt to the new method.

It can slow them down somewhat.I think people might be able to monitor electronic system to see if they are being hacked.They could be paid to it.

Ounce terrorist use robots like that as weapons.People will want their corporation shut down.If the people survive.Best way to deal with terrorist hackers is to send the robots outside the city at a certain time.Then check all of them before you send them into the city again.Check to see if they have been hacked.If so shut them down.If a terrorist is hacking by remote control.You should be able to pick that up in the city.So you could monitor the radiowaves for that.

People could potentially use Blender as a terrorist training tool, I guess you will have to stop using Blender now.

People use computers for all sorts of evil purposes as well, I guess you will have to sell or destroy your computer then, it was nice knowing you :slight_smile:

The point is, you can’t stop people from using almost any possible thing they can get their hands on for evil (creating a way to enforce that would be nigh on impossible), but it doesn’t mean that it can’t possibly be used for good or to fight evil as well, deciding that you’re not going to use something because of what some deranged person might use it for is simple paranoia.

“on the day that two army corps can mutually annihilate each other in a second, all civilized nations will surely recoil with horror and disband their troops.” -Alfred Nobel

Unfortunately he was wrong. In fact history is littered with quotes from the famous looking to technology to save us from ourselves, however; every great advancement in technology was only used to deepen our ire for one another.

Just for kicks: “For my part, I wish all guns with their belongings and everything could be sent to hell, which is the proper place for their exhibition and use.” -Alfred Nobel

P.S. Also: “The day when two army corps can annihilate each other in one second, all civilized nations, it is to be hoped, will recoil from war and discharge their troops.” -Alfred Nobel

And a great mind would say something like that wouldn’t it, I mean it only seems logical. Alas maybe logic is lost on us.

People do tend to blame corporations for what bad happens in relation to their products.Sometimes they sue them.But if corporation makes intelligent robots that make war with us.They will make laws to stop them being made.And demand a shut down of the corporation that did it.They will also try to kill the person that made the robots.That is how people are.

Is this statement based in reality though or is it rather based on Hollywood movies (which are notorious for twisting the reality of things in knots to make for a good looking plot)?

Do you think people would not care and then carry on like nothing happen.If that be the truth then the corporation would make more intelligent robots.And more likely than not they would get hacked by terrorist again and kill a lot of people again.

Lost ! you are getting too carried away with the T word…
The way one can see it is like this, There are two things, the oppressors and the oppressed, who are you in all of this…
Or where would you situate yourself in the two extremes.

I would be the oppressed.

You are aware that cowering in fear over the possibility of technological advancement (over the idea that it would be used for killing) is exactly where the terror groups want you emotionally, right?

You are letting them control your psychiatric state and personality in this manner, don’t let them define you.

Ok this thread so far is useless.

For those who want more information on this specific printer there was a nice discussion here – https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/2zdu7d/carbon3d_leap_in_3d_printing_technology/

and here – https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/2zavwh/new_terminatorinspired_3d_printing_technique/

Calling a thread useless in off topic/chat…

is it chat?

are we off topic?

you may proceed.

@Blue Print Random: Thumbs up :slight_smile:

@Lostscience: Corporations are in the business to survive, their job is generally to produce things people want to buy. If the masses want robots then there is a market for robots and corporations will be there to make and sell them. If those robots then turn on humanity I find it would be no more the fault of a corporation than the fault of the consumer.

However; you do have a point in that the masses often look for a scapegoat in times of distress and the CEOs of those companies would constitute a likely, however unjustified, target.

P.S. Corporations, while often ruthless in their bid to survive in a fiercely competitive environment, are merely the mask or veil that conceal the identity of the true culprits. The corporations are only following orders, hiding in their shadow you will find the true puppet masters, the consumer, the masses.

Corporations with their billion dollar budgets look frightening and they look big and powerful, but really they’re just servants. Their job is to cater to the demands of the market, the demands of the buyer. The consumer is both the oppressed and the oppressor.

I don’t know if anyone remembers this but it’s a super affordable printer in development, not yet available, http://www.peachyprinter.com/#!methods/cjg9 and the group inventing it are huge opensource advocates:)

here’s a story from 2013 about how it’s powered by Blender - http://www.blendernation.com/2013/09/23/the-peachy-3d-printer-powered-by-blender/

It says it will sell for $100, Here’s a cool promo video of their latest prints with the kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T18r7hDG-ec#t=69

and the tedX talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FwgJDSjaZk