Bacon to my daughter.

Hi,

A couple of months ago I did a coffe cup in blender to my eldest daughter since coffe is her life. One of my younger daughters, 12 years old, noticed this and last friday she asked if she also could get her favourite things modelled in blender. Sure, why not. “What do you want me to create?”… bacon(!) she replied.

I thought it would be a good exercise, so I did. All materials are procedural, so no external textures. Making of the material, model and all stuff to produce an end result about six hours and render time (appx. 2 000 samples) about the same… so this is the result twelve hours later.

Enjoy… and of course give feedback if you want :slight_smile:

How did you do the weld on the skillet handle?

Great. I’m very interested in how you made the sauce, and Bacon texture.

Mmm, I love bacon! :slight_smile: Great job with this scene! Just one bit of critique, I think that there should be more oil in the pan, when I cook bacon, there is oil all over the pan.

thank you all for quick response :).

Let’s see if I can satisfy you wit some answers.

@Anthony C. Really nice bottle you did btw. The welding is very simple. Just a cylinder with a subdivision surface of 2, then placed between the handle and the hilt on the pan.

@gappy, This is how thought when looking at the reference picture; It almost looks like wood, so perhaps I can use the wave texture, then I will need some glossiness and the bacon is also filled with small bumps so perhaps some noise displacement. Finally there must be som light going through both fat and bacon so I think I’ll use sss instead of diffuse.

Since the meat is a little red I also selected a HDR picture with the “correct” lighting, in my case “Popcorn Lobby” on http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html.

The node settings for the bacon finally turned out to be like this:

…and about the fat. This is mostly “normal” oil, but also with some displacement to achieve some bubbly surface. Looks like this:

@bonrw1… I agree. I was so occupied in details of the reference image that I forgot to look at the complete picture. When I did, I saw that it had not that much oil on the bottom of the pan, but a lot of oil that had splashed on the sides. I will correct that later on I think.

Thank you. :slight_smile:
I tried some welds a while back using an extruded circle that I subdivided then used a displacement on.
I like yours better, much cleaner.

Thank you for feedback. I didn’t think the bacon material is entirely node material. because it’s realistic so I thought it was texture of meat.
I replicated the materials, although seems neat modeling and post processing is needed to close to your result.

@gappy… it looks like a great start. I did not do any post processing and the modelling is easier than you might expected. Here are a few helpers on how to get to the final result (Perhaps I should do a video tutorial on bacon :D?).

Scale plane so that you get bacon size. Subdivide a few times (not many…just 5-6 times) in edit mode and then add a subdivision surface modifier to do the rest. Then add a wave modifier with some fall off. Use the solidify to get some height. Finally add a the displacement modifier with noise texture (only at Z-direction). Then you have most of the shape. Now copy it and on the copy lower the waves and move it so these are between the big bacon waves. The copy will be oil, so change the bacon shader to the oil shader. This will make the oil visible on the lower parts of the bacon.

Now you will hopefully be close. As a touch in the end you then may go to sculpture and use the grab tool to move waves and corner a bit to get the final result.

The pan is just extruded circles and some solidify and other parts of oil are UVSpheres scaled to zero in Z axis and with some scale changes and displacement in X,Y direction.

I’ll also use a small plane for key light to get many but small reflections.

Good luck!

MagicGlow, thank you for the detailed process, I tried to follow the process of at least bacon. I know it’s not a instruction page, but I think the techniques is great for organic modeling.
Can’t wait for your next project.