Courage contest

Hi, this is the image I made for the Blender guyz’s contest. Wolves are depicted as spirits because they are the representation of all the fears and fear can take lot of forms. This image represents courage because the boy is ready to face his fears to protect the little reindeer which is paralyzed and can’t do it by himself.
Any comments are very welcome :slight_smile:

Hi there!

Looks nice, seems that you’ve put a lot of work in this.
Anyway, here’s some things that I’ve noticed.

1.The transparency shader on the wolfs is good thinking but not sure if they get a “ghostly feeling”. If you can imagine a ghost their bodies does not seems to be an empty shell. I think the wolves would look better if you add a volume absorption shader instead and just have the outer shell transparent. I’ve attached 2 images showing the shader you have now compared to a volume absorption. Not sure that it going to look better but it might. I’ve also added a texture to the volume absorption and mixed it with a transparency shader. What this mixture does is to mix the Texture with the Absorption shader and making all the white areas transparent. (I hope this makes sense.) Try to change the texture to some other texture to play around and find what fits best for the wolves. Also play with the settings a little and you will find something you like! :slight_smile:

1. The wolves legs. They stands out from the wolves too much. They become like a separate object. Try to add them into the same mesh to remove the edge. (This might not be needed if you change the to the setting in suggestion 1.)

2. It’s a bright sunny day but the whole background is covered in dark. Try to make some shapes and let the sun come through here and there to make it match your cloudy background.

Other than that, keep working until there’s no time left or until you feel satisfied.
Art is never finished, just abandoned. :slight_smile:

Attached:

Just a quick question. Do ghosts cast shadows? Just something I noticed, not saying it should be changed just food for thought.

Thank you very much for your answers. Actually I’m not gonna have the time to work on it before the deadline of the contest but I will try to improve this image this weekend. Indeed, the ghosts need some changes, thanks to have made me noticed this :smiley:

So this is the new render :slight_smile: I tried to follow your advice. I feel this image is better and I think it’s the final but let me know what you think of the changements or if you see something that doesn’t look good.

I just made an other render brighter and more saturated and this one is the last :smiley:

Nice render. Made think of “une chanson douce” by Henri Salvador. I think that means your image is easy to anderstand.